Thread: question about immunization

Default question about immunization

Hi - I noticed a difference in how SpyBot is working on my machine and I was hoping somebody could explain it to me. I update my definitions each week, and in the past after the update I would check the immunization, and would get the message: "xxxx bad products blocked, xxx possible bad products unblocked. Please immunize". So I would click "immunize" and then "check again" and get the message "All known bad products are already blocked". But lately, even after an update when I click on "immunize" I get the "all known bad products are already blocked" message. Has there been a change in how the immunization process is done? Does it happen automatically when you do an update?
    Thanks very much for any advice.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

To the best of my knowledge there has been no change to the immunization routine.

One explanation could be that there no updates to the items being immunized included among the weekly updates. This has happened at least five (5) times in the last year, most recently with the 2006-09-15 updates.

The other explanation could be that new updates to Spybot's immunization routine are already covered by immunization from another source. For example, in addition to Spybot I also use SpywareBlaster. If a new item is added to Spybot's immunization routine that has already been added to the registry by SpywareBlaster it will not show up in the count "… xxx possible bad products unblocked. Please immunize". Using IE-Spyad will also cause this phenomena.

As a matter of routine after Spybot updates, I do the following:
    • Exit SpybotSD and restart it to make sure that all updates are loaded.
    • Click the Immunize (button in the left pane).
    • When the Immunize panel loads, I click the "Immunize" (button with large green plus sign at the top of the right pane) to fully immunize regardless of which of the following messages I received:
      • Information
        All known bad products are already blocked.
        OK
      • Warning
        xxxx bad products already blocked, xxxx additional protections possible. Please immunize.
        OK
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-09-25 at 20:15.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks SpyBot Fan!

Thanks for your input. I do use Spyware Blaster, so that might explain it. I just wanted to see if it seemed normal for that to be happening.