Thread: Is TeaTimer worth the update; conflicts with XP & NIS?

Default Is TeaTimer worth the update; conflicts with XP & NIS?

My browser was hijacked with adware recently through visiting a malicious site even though my security setting were fairly high and "as recommended." Though it appears I avoided disaster by simply applying a system restore, I want to avoid this problem in the future.

A spywareinfo forum recommended Spybot S&D's Teatimer.
    From reading, it seems like it would have prevented installation of the adware which poped up new browsers with "winantiviruspro" and many other sites.

I updated my 1.3 version but no tea timer feature available.
    Do I need to uninstall and reinstall 1.4?

But before I do, I see a number of posts describing some problems and conflicts with the tea timer.

So any general feedback?
    Is getting Tea Timer (I assume, by uninstalling spybot 1.3 and reinstalling with 1.4) worth the potential downsides, conflicts with Norton Internet Security 2006, & present and future XP Pro security updates?

Thanks for your comments,
    Questy

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I am not going to try to answer your entire query, just a portion of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Questy View Post
    I updated my 1.3 version but no tea timer feature available.
    Do I need to uninstall and reinstall 1.4?
    Running TeaTimer was/is option under both Spybot-S&D 1.3 and 1.4.

Unless you are running on a Windows 95 system, I suggest that you upgrade to Spybot-S&D 1.4 regardless of whether or not you decide to run TeaTimer, because you are not taking the full advantage of the ability of Spybot-S&D to detect and eliminate spyware unless you do.

Additional note: There are certain defects in TeaTimer with both Spybot-S&D 1.3 and 1.4 that should be explained if you decide to use TeaTimer. TeaTimer is not automatically enabled when you install Spybot-S&D 1.4. It is an elective option during the installation process and can be activated after the installation (exactly like it was in Spybot-S&D 1.3).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

So, (notwithstanding the teatimer question) do I need to uninstall 1.3, download and install 1.4, (cause just "updating" 1.3 doesn't work)
    thanks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The upgrade from Spybot 1.3 to 1.4 is not delivered through the integrated update facility. You should uninstall Spybot 1.3 first.

There are four (4) download sites for Spybot-S&D 1.4 here:
    Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.3:Install Spybot-S&D 1.4:
    • Execute spybotsd14.exe download above.
    • Do not change the default installation path of:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Make sure that you update Sptbot-S&D 1.4 before running a scan.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.