View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Thumbs up

I have noticed alot of talk about norton adaware mcafee and even pccillen mucking around with spybot and my view is that some of them are just bad configuration or poor management on the users part

norton by many technicians hes been classed as a mediocer product

mcafee Ive heard alot of complaints of its misbehaviour

and adaware Ive read reports of it conflicting with spybot
    but as far as im concerned it all comes down to how you set it up

because of all the increased malware spyware and adware attacks by hackers and non trusted companies anti virus companies have tried to catch up by introducing what you might call silent scanning to detect what they think is malisious software to keep one step ahead some have even introduced regestry control into their products to have better comtrol against hackers

if i get a product like adaware conflicting with my other security programs like spybot search and destroy and teatimer I configure them until I get no more conflicts and when I had norton the program did conflict but was soon rectified by changing settings

I now run bit defender and it cooperates with spybot better than ive seen any product and as a strange coincident I know someone else who runs avg
    pccillen adaware and spybot sandd and not a single trouble
    basicly it all comesdown to this every security program wants complete control to do the job it was designed for but not all parts of the programs work as good as others by putting the one you want on to run the main components first and configuring the other programs around them their should not be a problem in the world even if the program says so because you have to configure them around them and tell the program to ignore or standby sincronise around eachother or just disable theparts that dont work for you

from what I said eirlier pleasec do not take it the wrong way ive just run in to to many people that have had conflicts just because of a simple configuration
    but according to norton and their program conflicting with spybot s&d norton is useless when you put them on they even go so far as to replace windows security center with its worm protector and when you uninstall it you cant get rid of all of it
    it hangs around like a piece of spyware or adware

basicly if I were even paid to sell it I would have no trouble listing it as pups
    I would however suggest that if you list it you advise the user about why it is listed and list it as unpopular software and make sure that spybot get rid of it completely better than their uninstall program or advise the user to uninstall it first then scan again and let spy bot pick up any left over debrie
    and completely remove it sort of like this or similar to the above..

down with norton

ps and I surpose it wouldnt be such a bad idea to get others
    like bitdefender kaspersky mcafee pccillen f-secure adaware and avast on your side to get norton to change its mindd but dont turn it into another unix wars with law suits because the one with the most money always winss

I would not accept Norton for free on a new system. If I buy from a vendor who includes Norton as a part of their "free software" package they will either agree not to install it on my system or I will buy elsewhere. I have seen too many systems that seemed to be fragged by Norton rather than by a virus. Nuh-uh, not on my systems!!

Angry NIS - a resource Hog

I have completely quit using their products. They gobble up resources and slow down otherwise fast computers. I voted to detect them completely as a means to easily remove all their crap from our computer systems.

I am also in favor of documenting in your help files why they are being detected and how to override the detection for those foolish enough to want to continue using their products. Personally, I think that NIS and Microsoft are twin brothers with exactly the same personality traits.

Default A tempest...

C'mon
    I use NIS 06, Spybot S&D 1.4, Java Cools Spyware Blaster, and Java Cools MRU Blaster. Apart from the post install warning from NIS that S&D was incompatible, which I simply ignored, I have had no problems. Each program has its' own quirks, and each is remarkable in its' own right. Stop bickering. Has it not occurred to y'all that Norton might be a little worried. U r incurring on their market share. It doesn't matter that S&D is free! What matters is NIS is not! So, lighten up! Remember, it's always the progressive elements in any argument that end up walking out on a good fight, and thus, lose the war.
    Academically speaking, Tea Timer and Symantec's detection engine are incompatible with eachother. Like the wild beasts that they are, they must be tamed. Remember, we still control our machines. I hope...

Default Reply

I agree with 7cures, I currently have the Norton 360 Beta and Spybot with TeaTimer enabled and have no problems. I justed ignored Norton's warning about Spybot being installed and everything works fine.
    UNITE
    Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

ASAP
    Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™

I wouldn't worry about Symantec! From what I've read M$ are going after them, I read somewhere that one or the other was planning a law suit. M$ are releasing OneCare, which will compete directly with NIS, and if M$ pre-bundle it with Vista, people who don't know better will use that, rather than opting for a separate product, it'll be just like the old Explorer/Netscape wars all over again!
    Let M$ & Symantec fight each other like the giant beasts they are, for soon after Linux, Firefox, and Safer Networking will rise up through the ashes, and re-take home computing

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn1102 View Post
    I have never had Nortons crash my system or know anyone who did. There are many minor imcompatability between many programs. If you have a Windows system, you have to learn to live with them - even if you don't have windows system, you have other problems. That's part of computer life.

Lynn
    Wow. You've been lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by 7cures View Post
    Stop bickering. Has it not occurred to y'all that Norton might be a little worried. U r incurring on their market share. It doesn't matter that S&D is free! What matters is NIS is not! So, lighten up! Remember, it's always the progressive elements in any argument that end up walking out on a good fight, and thus, lose the war.
    LOL.. I can see why someone would think this. But I remember a nasty spyware coming out.. Coolweb I think.. and complaining to Symantec Support that NAV did not detect or remove it because they said it was not a virus! SSD is not stepping on Norton market share, it's the other way around. Spybot was around long before Symantec released NIS or cared about spyware.
    Last edited by flasuncoast; 2006-12-11 at 18:29.

If NIS behaves as spyware then any reliable anti-spyware should detect it as such. However if NIS is not treated in the same way by ALL the members of the ASC then Symantec will continue to get away with their bad behavior.

Now, the biggest player in this game is Microsoft and I would be very surprised if they will add NIS to their detection list since their behaviour in the past has been far from impeccable, but if they did then Symantec might sit up and take notice.

If the ASC does not do something heavy as a unified body against Symantec then the ASC will lose its relevance and the spyware creators will fiddle while Rome burns.

It would appear that Symantec thinks that its NIS software is the great cure all in anti-spyware but my experience has shown that no single anti-spyware program can find everything.

I vowed back in 2000 never to use another Symantic product of any kind when my copy of NAV 2000 started behaving like trial ware and they were impossible to contact for help. I spent good money on dud software!

Recently they bought Power Quest whose Partition Magic and Drive Image I had been using for years and still use. I can't seem to win on this one. It seems that they have already stuffed up Drive Image. I wonder what they will do with Partition Magic 8.

Now I am on the lookout for decent software to replace them when the time comes that those two programs become obsolete. Symantec will not get another red cent out of me!

Bernie