View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Ich halte es für eine absolute Frechheit von Symantec, Nutzern die Deinstallation von Spybot zu empfehlen. Vor allem kann ich deren Haltung der "Nichtkommunikation" überhaupt nicht nachvollziehen.
    Ich halte nicht viel von Symantec... also wenn sie sich nicht ändern, muss man eben zu härteren Methoden greifen...
    Eine "juristische Schlacht" halte ich aufgrund des großen Geldaufwandes und der langen Dauer bis ein Urteil vorliegt, für unnötig.
    Macht weiter so mit Spybot, es ist ein sehr gutes Programm... auch wenn sich manch großer Konzern querstellt...
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt

Default Full Support Safer Netwoking.

I have just voted in the poll to "Detect NIS completely".

I recommended and installed Norton Internet Security 2005 for several people, and bought it myself, after reading a review of security tools which praised it.

I found it intrusive and irritating. The number of pop-up's it generated while I was on-line, and particularly when filling in forms, made it unusable if you wanted to get anything done.

I ended up phoning Symantec and asking for my money back. I found they had a web page specifically for disgruntled customers to claim a refund. I think that says a lot. I was left embarrassed at having recommended it.

In comparison I have found Spybot S & D excellent. I think Symantec's non-cooperation with Safer Networking is deplorable. Safer Networking are addressing a serious problem by providing free security software (that works) to the home user, the user often with little or no knowledge of security issues and the most vunerable.

The way I see this is, we have a vendor of a commercial and in my opinion poorer tool, one I personally felt would put people off bothering with online security for life, damaging the reputation of a a tool that I feel is far superior as part of a self-selected security suite. A tool which also encourages security by being supplied free for download to home users, for which I think Safer Networking deserve praise.

(If Symantec ever read this, I'd love you to post a reply and convince me my personal opinions are wrong in the paragraph above, and give reasons why Norton Internet Security 200X should be considered better than a combination of Windows XP's own Restore plus ZoneLabs, Grisoft, Safer Networking and Lavasoft products.)

You have my full support Safer Networking.

I think it would benefit mankind not just to remove NIS but all other Symantex products as well.

Default Re Terminator's Message

Hmmm... Just read Terminator's message and think he has a good point. I would not like to see Safer Networking damaged or diverted by a prolonged legal battle with Symantec.

I think my sentiments on this business are obvious from the first message I posted. I for one recommend Spybot S&D to anyone who will stand still long enough to listen. I think I am in good company here with the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper and, if memory serves, Fred Langa. I would never again recommend a Symantec product after my personal experience.

I will do my bit by continuing to recommend Safer Networking's Spybot S&D. From the other posted replies there does not seem to be much support for Symantec. Perhaps word of mouth recommendations from Spybot users, and mention of Symantec's behavior in trying to deny users a valuable aid to personal security on the net will result in Symantec having shot themselves in the foot. I will spread the news among my contacts.

I voted the way I strongly feel from a what's right and what's wrong point of view, but considering the practical side Terminator makes good sense to me. Developing ever better versions of Spybot is positive, fighting a legal battle with Symantec is not.

I believe Safer Networking will find there is very strong support for their product whatever Symantec may choose to say or do.

The ASC and the members of it can not be very impressed with Symantec over this, I don't think the computing community will be either.

Default Keep up the good work

I have been using SpyBot for a while now on my own families PCs. It has now assisted in rescuing 3 friends PCs that had become unusable.

By all means detect some NIS files and wake up a few people but avoid getting into expensive legal stuff except as last resort.

You have my thanks, and my donation, keep up the good work.

Unhappy Sorry Symantec

In the last week I have had to do two rebuilds on computers, thanks to Symantec. My clients had downloaded and installed their new 2007 edition. Only to see their computer continuously rebooting. This problem is not new with Norton. The programme is so invasive that it loves itself and wants to take over the computer.

The solution is after the rebuild; install Spybot S&D and AVG7 to protect yourself! This is what I recommend to my clients. I have not got a complaint yet from them.

Sorry Symantec, I was an avid supporter and user of your products. But not any more, I feel you have crossed the line over an individual’s privacy. In so far as what a person can and cannot install on their computer.
    Last edited by Niall; 2006-09-30 at 18:21. Reason: Spelling

Most users of Symantec products are new to the world of computers. They believe the ad hype. If their pc came loaded with Norton then it must be a good and trustworthy software. Why else would it be there along with all the other well-known, big corp products.

I agree that Patrick, et al should use their energies in making Spybot S & D better. Staying in the Anti-Spyware Coalition depends upon the value of membership or benefits received. Perhaps the Coalition is Symantec. . . .

My concern is that this is the first step in either eliminating or swallowing up Safer Networking Ltd, and thus another excellent application disappears.

In agreement with ''robinbro'': ''Developing ever better versions of Spybot is positive, fighting a legal battle with Symantec is not.''

Angry a Long History ...

There is a long history of Symantec products being "incompatible" with other competitive products, all the way back to (and probably before) the red box v yellow box battles between both McAfee and themselves.

It's interesting to note that the Support staff for both those companies know exactly where to find the tools to completely remove each other's products from a system, after neither of their Uninstallers will actually do so. Hmmm, a little like M$ or IBM but on smaller scales.

This is (yet) another sad case of the larger product intimidating the better product and being able to do so with impunity, due to their greater financial capability to do so. Stuff civilised behaviour, survival of the fittest, or the biggest, is the only criterion ... NOT!!!

I voted Detect & Remove NIS completely, but (1) because I have taken this Poll in the spirit if mischief with which I think it was intended. , and (2) because Symantec pi55 me off mightily.

As others have said, it would be a pointless action, as it would only lead to the Yellow Elephant trampling all over Patrick and the Team's altruistic intentions, by throwing all the dollars they've extorted from computer users over the years into legal action, rather than using it to make their software play better with all our computers.

Quite frankly, that would be a waste of everone's time, efforts and last shreds of remaining sanity, and I suspect none of us want that.

Angry

I stand by Safer Networking and their great software, Spybot Search & Destroy! I had been using this product since 2003 and I have no complaints nor issues about it.

I have never been a fan or user of Symantec products. Norton Utilities and NAV were great programs back then until...(sigh). Just do No.1 as I have voted!
    Spyware is the bane of the Internet.

Default No problem with NIS/Spybot so far

I have been reading these posts with curiosity. I use NIS 2006 since almost a year, I use Spybot S&D for some years and I use Norton System Works since 2000 (now NSW 2006). I have never had the problems you mentioned above, i.e. Symantec advising me to uninstall Spybot S&D.
    I was planning to upgrade to version 2007 of NIS but you all make me doubt.
    Is there a big difference with NIS 2006? And how about NSW? Please advise.
    Thank you for any reply.