View Poll Results: Should we follow ASCs definitions of Spyware/PUPS and add NIS to the detections?

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, detect NIS completely!

222 67.27%
  • Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

26 7.88%
  • No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

8 2.42%
  • None of the above.

74 22.42%
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Either Safer Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...

Default its not a bug - its NIS!

Jeder halbwegs versierte Mensch weiß, das eine DFW nichts auf dem lokalem System zu suchen hat. Und wenn dann dieses Produkt auch noch versucht, Spybot auszuhebeln, dann ist das richtig traurig.

Mein Rat: noch mal versuchen, mit SYMANTEC zu reden, vielleicht gibt es ja noch eine Lösung. Ansonsten in Zukunft 2 Spybot Versionen anbieten, die eine läßt NIS drin und die andere entfernt NIS radikal. Ich persönlich würde mich heute schon für die 2. Variante entscheiden.

--Samantha--

I am really angry that Symantec are choosing a non-cooperative approach to solving this 'compatibility' problem with your product Spybot.

I'm a PC service technician working for a Computer shop. We service about 100 PCs per month. About 75% of these are badly virus/spyware afflicted. Of the 75% about 40%-50% are running a Symantec/Norton security tool.... either NAV, NIS or NSW.

Without fail we counsel our customers to immediately replace Symantec products as we have continual first hand experience that they are inadequate and almost invariably the cause of performance and software issues.

Products we recommend are Eset's NOD32 - not just because of the excellent advanced heuristic protection but also the incredibly light footprint and high performance of the AV engine. (No, I am not affiliated with ESET, I just know that it works. :-)

But getting back to the Symantec issue, I would advise avoiding the legal avenues unless you have a bottomless bank balance. If Symantec won't play fair it would be great to see Spybot develop its own Symantec product removal tools... and I'm sure they will prove superior to Symantec's inhouse removal tool they ironically developed to help users uninstall their own crappy products.

Thankyou for Spybot... fantastic product!

Ross Boyd
    Interbit Computing

Default AVAST Instead ?

I too have become disencanted with Symantec. I recently tried to report a problem that I thought was a false positive. I got nowrere with their email support.
    I have 110 days left on my current susscription. At that time I am goiing to switch. Right now, I am considering AVAST 4 professional edition.
    Does anyone have a recomendation on AVAST?
    Thanks
    FRank C

Bonjour !
    this my first post here..I have just register to vote at this pool..
    I am a long time user of spybot, on my pc's ad spreading it as far as it is possible among friends.. go on, get them out of use,
    they really deserve it ...

And a very big thank to all the team for your fabulous job

Albert

Smile RE:AVAST Instead ?

I've been using AVAST! Free edition for the last year and the only problem I ever had with it was when I had the NetVeda Firewall installed, once I got rid of that particular firewall and went back to Zone Alarm i've not had a single problem. For the best protection I use Avast! Free Edition 4.7.892 (Latest Version which only needs a free re-registration once a year), Zone Alarm Free 6.5.737.000 (latest version), Spyware blaster 3.5.1, Ad-Aware Pro 1.06, Firefox 1.5.0.7 (Latest version), Spybot 1.4, EULAlyza 1.1 (To scan EULAs). McAfee Site Advisor, Message Defender (to prevent Messenger spam) and the Firefox version of the Google Toolbar for the phishing and homepage protection.

Use this combination and you can't go far wrong.
    Last edited by Terminator; 2006-10-02 at 23:23. Reason: Added other useful programs

Default Norton

Norton is a resource hog. Things like that are malware in my opinion.

completely remove all symantec products from a computer, and while your at it have S&D remove windows and install linux, a much more stable OS :p

I used to use S&D all the time back when I was a Windoze user (over 4 years ago) the only thing that kept my computer clean was S&D. All sysmantec does is open a computer up to infection. And I say if they want to play hardball like microcraps then play hardball. Hit them where it hurts and get the word out about their buggy software. It's working for linux which has a larger userbase then ever, it can work for you guys. Have at them!!!
    Last edited by omega_shadow; 2006-10-03 at 03:24.

Default Symantec vs. Safer Networking? No contest.

I had to register just to say that after using Spybot S&D for over three years, and Norton AV for less than one, my opinion oughta be plain.

S&D now runs on three of my computers, Symantec on none.

[And, yes, I run Ashampoo Firewall (free), NOD32, Anti-Vir (now Avira), or AVG, along with Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, A-Squared Free and a few other utilities.]

I did write a note to Center for Democracy and Technology.

Good luck, Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikago View Post
    Ouch!

I must renew my subscriptions in 30 days and I saw what they charge me for it.
    These virus definitions should arrive wrapped in gold, as far as the price is concerned.
    Why not take a look at AVG Free via http://free.grisoft.com/.

I use this in combination with Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html).

If you are happy with the free verdsion AVG has a Professional product which is cheaper to support per annum than Norton.

Thumbs up big thanks!

I just register after reading this shameless acting from Symantec against Spybot.

I like many have been using Spybot for 5 years now and recommend it to everyone of my customers. I support more than 300 PCs, and have customer base ot about 50.

It is not coincidence that Symantec is outrated, 10 out of 13 PCs a fix used Symantec's products, however I have not have a single customer complaining after I install Spybot on their PCs. I would recommend only to the developers of Spybot to make the interface hidden whenever it starts. or to have the choice of hiding it from viewing.

I have found that Spybot works flawlessly with McAfee, ZoneAlarm, AVG, and AdAware, so how come Symantec claims it is incompatible with? Looks to me that Symantec maybe playing a dangerous game of being the only one, well that does not work at all, remember the "blue frog" that claim to be able to stop all attacks, it fell to DoS attacks to their servers.

Having 2 or more programs working together is the best chance to deter attacks.

If Symantec does not want to cooperate I support the motion of have a detection and removal tool for it.

In the name of all my customers and mine as well I just want to said Big thanks!