Hi, Thank you in advance for reading this and helping. Today Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Avira all found malware on my computer for the first time. Win32.Downloader.gen was found by Spybot. I "fixed" this from within Spybot. Because of this, I ran Malwarebytes (I have the free version of Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Avira) and found 3 PUPs, which I quarantined. PUP.Optional.BundleInstaller , PUP.Optional.DotSetupIo , and a second PUP.Optional.DotSetupIo . Then I ran Avira, a full scan, and found JS/Agent.buy , which I removed, or so Avira says. Finally, I ran the Microsoft Safety Scanner and found 10 items -- which all seemed to relate to Microsoft Defender and a 'poor configuration', which it fixed. For good measure, I ran the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, which found nothing at that point -- this was just a quick scan. All others were full scans.

I decided to re-immunize my browser, via Spybot. I'm using Windows 10, because I figured there are still some bugs in Windows 11 -- and I once had issues on this 1 yr old HP 17.3" laptop (running Ryzen 5, AMD) with a Windows 10 Update -- that wound up requiring a complete system reinstall.

What else should I do, if anything? Update to Windows 11 for increased security? Run Spybot and Malwarebytes and Avira scans daily for awhile?

I do financial stuff online that I definitely don't want a hacker to get into. It's all with MFA, though. Lots of alerts.

Thank you!

smhoff

After reading about VLC Media Player today and hacking potential, I uninstalled it and installed GOM's video player instead. I did use it pretty often to watch movies. I deleted it from my phone, too, in favor of YT Music.