Thread: Ignore Cookies Settings Not Persisting

Default Ignore Cookies Settings Not Persisting

The cookies I designate to be ignored using the Ignore Cookies setting are not being remembered. Frequently, when I click on Ignore Cookies the list of identifed cookies is presented and none of them are checked, even though I'd checked many of them previously. Is there something I can do differently to ensure that my Ignore Cookies settings aren't lost bewteen usages of Spybot?

Thanks,
    Dave

Do you have Windows XP,and do you use fast user switching?

When I checked cookies to be ignored in Spybot,they stayed ignored,after closing and opening Spybot a couple times.
    But,when I switched users,checked off a couple of cookies to be ignored in the other account,then logged back into my account,there were no checks next to my cookies,anymore.

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I'm running on XP. There are multiple user accounts defined on my computer, but we pretty much only ever use mine and I'm certain that on numerous occasions my "ignore cookie" settings were lost even while no other user account had been accessed.

I'm not too sure what would cause that.
    I tried running a scan,and deleting green tracks cookies,but my cookies stayed checked.
    I thought it might be Opera cookies(if you have that),since it says in the help file they can only be deleted,but they seemed to stay checked to be ignored:
    (At the moment, only Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator and Mozilla cookies are supported - Opera cookies can only be completely deleted)
    The only time they seemed to get unchecked on my account was when I logged off the other user,then rebooted.I thought after that,that perhaps Ignored Cookies became unchecked after rebooting,and noone had noticed yet,but mine stayed checked.
    I can't think of much else,at the moment,I'm stumped.Which version of Spybot do you have?If you're not sure open Spybot,click Help,and then About.Do you have anything else on your computer that would have to do with cookies?(anything like Cookie Wall,etc.)
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-07-31 at 04:02.

Smile

Hello again, and thank you once again. I have Spybot v1.4 installed. The only browser I use is IE. I have other security type stuff running including Norton (Symantec) Internet Security which includes anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall, Zonelab firewall, and Microsoft Defender.

I'm reasonably sure I've noticed cookies being unchecked from one Spybot session to another during a single Windows session. But I can't swear to that, it may be that this has only happened after a logout and/or reboot. I'll make a point of tracking when it happens and I'll write back then.

One other thing, sometimes I "Check for problems" using "Select all available checks" while other times I choose "Usage tracks check only". Can toggling back and forth this way have something to do with my "ignore cookies" issue?

Thanks again for your time!

Dave

You're welcome.
    I tried a Check for Problems,using Select all Available Checks,and then a tracks scan only,and my cookies stayed checked in Ignore cookies.
    I think I remember someone else having the same or similar problem with ignored cookies,I haven't found it here,so maybe it was on the old spybot forum.
    I'll poke around a little more,and see if I come up with anything.If I think of anything,I'll post it here,or perhaps some others may have some ideas.

p.s.-If you have Norton's Firewall,and Zone Alarm Firewall...it's not a good idea to have two firewalls running at the same time.Just an fyi.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-08-01 at 00:36.

Default When I actually lose "Ignore Cookie" settings

Based on continued observation it has become clear that I only lose my "Ignore Cookie" settings when I change the "File sets" option from "Select all available checks" to "Usage tracks check only" and back again. Maybe someone will find this useful :-)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Dave:

From your original post:

Quote Originally Posted by david_m_butler View Post
    Is there something I can do differently to ensure that my Ignore Cookies settings aren't lost bewteen usages of Spybot?
    One approach to preserving the "Ignore Cookies" settings being taken by Hapkido in the following thread is to copy the file where the "Ignore Cookies" information is stored. See:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks!

Thanks!