Thread: Spybot will not load/install, program being closed by malware?

Default Spybot will not load/install, program being closed by malware?

I was traveling in ND this weekend and looks like I picked up something nasty in the hotel. (Insert joke here.)

Anyway, it's on my company laptop which has a TrendMicro AntiVirus program. The computer operates 100% normal. It's quick and does everything it should, except I noticed that the TrendMicro icon (system tray) goes away once the mouse gets close to it. After looking around I figured I must have picked up some spyware. I have a program in my root that keeps coming back. "smartftp2.exe" Also, there is a program called "upapp" that keeps showing up in my Add/Remove Programs. (HP Printer related?"

Naturally, I went to Google and typed in Spybot. As soon a I hit enter, IE closes. So I got home, put spybotsd14.exe on a dvd and moved it to the laptop. It present the language selection window and then closes. Finally, I moved the entire directory tree from my PC to the laptop via dvd and placed it in C:\program files. As soon as I clicked on Spybot Search and Destroy, the window closes. So I changed the name to naner. (Gibberish) After clicking on naner, the window stayed open. Double clicking spybot.exe caused the window to load and then crash. So I changed spybot.exe to naner.exe and I've got the same results.

I've tried the built in TM virus scan, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal, AdAware, Spyblaster, and Spybot doctor. They all seem to install and load fine, but they have no effect. Obviously, Spybot will if I can get it to work. I have a 2.5" external HDD case. If I put the work HDD in there and attach it to my PC, will Spybot find that or does it just look for the local C: drive.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello upxtech

Can you produce a HJT log as shown in the topic here: "BEFORE you POST"
    If so, please copy paste the HJT log into a new topic you would start here: Malware Removal Forum

Let us know how it goes.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi upxtech.

I moved your HJT log to the malware forum as HJT is not analysed in the Spybot-S&D forum.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=8891
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Wink roland

hey if your firewall is on try turning it off and open spy bot if it doesn't work i would recommend formating your laptop. Hope i helped bye