Thread: Different Windows Security Center Problem

Default Different Windows Security Center Problem

I just updated to SP2. Yeah, I know it's been out for 2-3 years.....anyway...
    I ran a check with SpyBot before updating and everything was clean. After updating I ran another check and the problem box lists a different Security Center problem than I've found on the forum so far. The problem is:

Microsoft.Security Center.UpdateDisableNotify
    Settings
    HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Security Center\UpdateDisableNotify!= dword:0

I do have the Automatic Update part of the Security Center disabeled. Should I fix this problem or tell SpyBot to ignore on future checks?
    Also, I'm running SpywareBlaster. Should I Immunize with SpyBot also, or undo the Immunizations so far and leave that to SpywareBalster? I think that is waht the version of SpyBot before this one suggested.
    Thanks for the help'
    JC
    XP Home SP3
    Pent.4 1.8GHz,768MB
    IE 6.0.2800.1106SP3
    Inspiron Laptop
    Vista Premium SP2
    Dual Core 2.0GHZ,2GB
    IE 7
    Firefox
    MSE AntiVirus
    Malwarebytes
    CCleaner
    SpyBot
    SpywareBlaster

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

This detection:

Code:
    Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.UpdateDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify!=dword:0
    Indicates the Automatic Update alert setting within Windows Security Center has been turned off and that you will not receive notifications if the Windows Automatic Update facility is turned off.

Go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window. There are three possible alerts:
    • Firewall
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
    • Automatic Updates
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
    • Virus Protection
      Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings
    I believe that you will find that Automatic Updates alert has been turned off.

Since you have Windows Automatic Update turned off, fixing the problem would cause alerts to be issued.

Note: There are two (2) alternatives to turning off Windows Automatic Update entirely:
    • Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.
    • Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Re: Spybot and SpywareBlaster

I run both. See the following post:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

md usa,

Thanks for the responses and the help.
    JC
    XP Home SP3
    Pent.4 1.8GHz,768MB
    IE 6.0.2800.1106SP3
    Inspiron Laptop
    Vista Premium SP2
    Dual Core 2.0GHZ,2GB
    IE 7
    Firefox
    MSE AntiVirus