Thread: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

Default Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled

**Very strange and frustrating.**

Several days ago, I found three or four strange results in my Spybot scan... and one of them was this Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled.
    ***It keeps returning.***

I clicked the option to fix it. I don't remember what the other files were that I removed, except that one was the file mentioned above... and there was *also* a file exactly the same... *except* after the _ underscore, instead of 'disabled', it was different... it was something else like 'don't notify' or 'notify' and something else. I wish I could remember.

There are physical symptoms of this problem, too: My computer's fan goes *crazy* because my computer is heating up like mad... so I check task manager to look at processes. Usually, Firefox is going positively bananas... very high numbers ticking upwards quickly... and not because of anything I'm doing, either.

This may or not be a related -- I'm very cautious online because my computer has a heat problem. But once recently there was a weird file creating the problem, so I Googled it to identify it... and it was a file that had something to do with Windows Media Player... BUT, I hadn't even been using it! (I haven't in *months.*) So why would it be running like that and using up resources?

*Anyway* - as I said, ever since, the one kind of spyware file that keeps showing up when I run a scan is this "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled" thing. I think it's affecting my Norton Internet Security software, possibly preventing popup alerts and automatic updates, too.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this? Anyone know what exactly it is? Am I infected with something? (BTW, I've run virus scans online and on my system, and it always comes up clean.)

Thanks!
    -Stephanie

If you click on Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled,then click the area to the right with the arrows on it,Spybot will give you this description:

Company:
    Product: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled
    Threat: Security

Functionality
    if the Windows Security Center is disabled this entry will be shown

Description
    Malware can disable the Windows Security Center to make your System more vulnerable.

If you have other security software suit installed, this may also deactivate the Windows Security Center to avoid double warning messages.
    Also,please see here:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/46.html

I see you have Norton Internet Security Suite.Please see here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...48&postcount=3
    From this thread:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=42148
    I clicked the option to fix it. I don't remember what the other files were that I removed, except that one was the file mentioned above... and there was *also* a file exactly the same... *except* after the _ underscore, instead of 'disabled', it was different... it was something else like 'don't notify' or 'notify' and something else. I wish I could remember
    Might the other detection have been one of these?:
    Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

To see for sure what you removed,you could open Spybot,click mode,advanced mode,click Tools->View Report,then in the right pane click view previous report,then find the checks or fixes log with that detection.(You could also copy and paste the detections part here,if you'd like.)
    See here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...10&postcount=2

(Sorry for all the links. )