Thread: Can spybot affect screensavers or msn?

Default Can spybot affect screensavers or msn?

Hello, this is my first post here.

I myself have been using spybot for several years, and i've suggested to friends as well. Now, one of them claims to have a problem, that i have never heard of or encountered it myself. What makes things harder is the fact, that she's currently studying abroad, and i have no clue, which version of spybot she us using currently, or how were the initial warnings displayed. I only know, that she can very rarely find a place to connect her laptop to the internet (she is basically without a connection), so i don't think it's infected with some virus.

Okei, the problem is: she says that she can't change her msn display pics or run different screensavers (like My Pictures as a slideshow), cause spybot has detected an important registry entry and changed values:

Old data: C/WINDOWS/system32/scrsave.src
    New data: C/WINDOWS/system32/ssmypics.scr

If she tries to close spybot, then she gets a message that registry change denied.

Well, it is really confusing for me. So actually, i'd just like to ask, if spybot can even meddle with screensavers on msn?

Sorry, if this is discussed in this forum before, but i tried to search and couldn't find similar themes.

Regards,

Tarmo

That's teatimer.That's correct,if she's pressing the close box on the Teatimer window,she denies the change,which is why her screensaver isn't changed.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

If she's closing Teatimer because she can't see the Allow or Deny buttons properly,there's a sticky topic here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-11-30 at 11:20. Reason: doh!oops.