Thread: Computer Shuts Down In Middle Of Scan

Question Computer Shuts Down In Middle Of Scan

My computer shuts down when I try and run a Spybot scan. It also does this while in the Safe Mode. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hello Shadow Memory.

More information would be helpful.

For instance is this a new installation. If not, was there any unusual event that occurred on the PC at the time the problem started.

Which version of Spybot-S&D are you running; open the program and click Help > About

Also your Operating System?

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hello,

Spybot is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

The problem can happen in both desktops and laptops, although the problem is more prevalent in laptops.

If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:

- Mobile Pentium III-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4-M
    - Mobile Pentium 4
    - Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
    - Mobile AMD

Take a look at following suggestion by 100mill:

- Notebook CPU running hot during Spybot scan
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1816

If you have a desktop consider opening the case and checking to make sure the CPU heat sink is not too dusty. Doubt that this can be a problem, read the following threads:
    - Spybot causes shut down
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2163
    - PC crashes while Spybot is running
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2230

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Question Computer Shuts Down In Middle Of Scan

Thank you Tashi and Sandra for your quick response. Sandra, I did as you suggested. I opened the case and cleaned the dust from the heat sink. But now the machine shuts off before Windows XP HE finished loading. Then it starts up again, gets to the point where XP is trying to load, and shuts off again. It seems to do this in a loop until I turn off the power. (I had to get my laptop out of mothballs in order to send this.) I seem to remember finding something on the net about this symptom, when I was searching for a solution to running Spybot. But, so far, I haven't been able to find anything again. When cleaning the heat sink assembly, I disconnected, then reconnected, the fan on the case wall, and the power to the fan on the heat sink. I didn't mess with anything else. I know this isn't directly a Spybot problem, but I'm hoping you will still help.

Default Computer Shuts Down In Middle Of Scan

Update:

OK, the computer doesn't keep trying to reboot after the power actually shuts off. When that happens, I have to turn the power switch back on before it starts it's cycle again.

When I first started the machine this morning, it would get intermittently farther into loading XP. Once I was even able to get a Spybot scan running, but it shut off in the middel of the scan again. I'm going to let the machine cool all the way down and then see what happens when I try starting it again.

Default Computer Shuts Down In Middle Of Scan

Well, I don't see any direct correlation to heat build up in the hardware after all. This time, from cold, the computer immediately starts cycling until it turns off.

However, I do get a blue screen error message:

c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly ----
    0x00000402 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
    The system has been shut down.

Can you offer any help?

Security Expert-Emeritus

Perhaps a local pc shop Shadow
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2006