Thread: I turned off sd helper - is that a problem?

Default I turned off sd helper - is that a problem?

Hi

I've just been advised on a forum for mcafee anti-virus that I should disable Teatimer on spybot because it can interfere with the running of the mcafee software, which is always on, protecting the computer. Does that sound reasonable?

When I did this, I noticed I also had the option to turn off the other thing marked as being ' permanent protection' , which was internet explorer protection/sd helper. I turned this off also, as , as far as I know, i want to use spybot for occasional checks, not for it to be running in the background on a permanent basis. Was this the right thing to do?

Thanks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oliver321 View Post
    I've just been advised on a forum for mcafee anti-virus that I should disable Teatimer on spybot because it can interfere with the running of the mcafee software, which is always on, protecting the computer. Does that sound reasonable?
    Not in my personal opinion. I run the following as well as TeaTimer and have never encountered a problem:
    • McAfee SecurityCenter
      Version: 7.1
      Build: 7.1.134
    • McAfee VirusScan
      Version: 11.1
      Build: 11.1.124

Quote Originally Posted by oliver321 View Post
    ... other thing marked as being ' permanent protection'
    Spybot's Browser Helper Object (BHO) a.k.a. SDHelper, blocks the storing of the same third party (tracking) cookies in Internet Explorer that Spybot itself detects. If you don't use Internet Explorer, have the storing of all third party cookies blocked within Internet Explorer or don't care about the storing of third party cookies on your system, then leave the feature disabled.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.