Thread: Advice conflicts

Default Advice conflicts

You very kindly cleared a downloader problem for me 30/11 -"Ad downloader?keeps taking over browser".

In the clear up/follow on advice it was suggested that I use Ad Aware on a continuing basis.

Subsequently I have had problems with Mcafee Virus Scan showing as inoperative or not installed. When querying this with Mcafee they have told me to remove any software by amongst others :- Panda and Lava soft as they cause conflicts with the Mcafee programme. I will happily copy all their details if required. By uninstalling these programmes I appear to have resolved the issues with Mcafee Virus Scan.

My purpose in contacting you however is to see if you recomend any alternate programmes in place of Panda or Lavasoft?

Regards

Peter

Previous topic: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=9373&page=2
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-12-22 at 03:39. Reason: Added link

Security Expert-Emeritus

Hi Peter534

The main idea is not to use more than one active antivirus software running becase they will conflict each other. So only one active antivirus is recommended.

I recommended you to run a scan regularly with a few scanners. The fact is that you get the best results by using multiple scanners.

The programs I recommended weren't antivirus programs. As far as I know the Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D and AVG Anti-Spyware are anti-spyware programs. If you just use them for scanning I don't think they will conflict. Same goes with that Panda online scanner - It is used just for scanning. Are you sure that the that the McAfee weren't talking about multiple antiviruses ? If removing Ad-Aware resolved your problem - fine. I saw a few cases where McAfee has had problems with Ad-Aware.

I recommend that you use Spybot S&D and AVG Anti-Spyware for scanning
    MalWare Removal University - You too could train to help others
    UNITE & ASAP member since 2006

Default Advice conflicts

Many thanks for your update - it could be that I was having problems as I was running some of the programmes with their ongoing monitoring options enabled - rather than as you suggest as a scanning tool.

Regards Peter

Security Expert-Emeritus

it could be that I was having problems as I was running some of the programmes with their ongoing monitoring options enabled
    Yes, that might have caused something.

You're very welcome
    MalWare Removal University - You too could train to help others
    UNITE & ASAP member since 2006

hey Mr_jak3 can u help me? i posted a forum called log go in and help me with my problem please?

thanks

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...9493#post59493
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-12-23 at 18:52. Reason: Added link