Hi:
Im not sure if this is the forum I should be writing to for help, but I need to start somewhere . Im sure that some "bug" or "parasite" has done something but I dont want to do a reformat unless I absolutely have to.

SITUATION/PROBLEM:
1. Infected with Application.Adware.NewDotNet.Dropper according to [Bit Defender Virus scan].

2. "Bad Image", & "Unexpected Error" messages come up for various programs/applications-see below for list & particulars.

3. Cant access System Restore, Task Manager, or HiJack This.

HISTORY:
Starting on late evening Jan30/06, a message box showed up in the lower right side of task bar saying a chkdsk needed to be done. The message mentioned something about ICQ (ICQ is on the computer but hasnt been accessed in a few months).
I was told about the message 1&1/2 hours after it appeared; I clicked the 2 boxes in the chkdsk window from "tools", & restarted the computer so the chkdsk could run.
As soon as the chkdsk started, in the first section, all of a sudden there were "tons" of files scrolling down as if being added or accesssed. The chkdsk continued & finished.
NOTE:I'm never quick enough to read the report so I didnt see what it said. (Also, I dont even know how to access the report after the chkdsk is done).
When I opened up my user account, I noticed that the AVG icon on taskbar was grey. I clicked on it to update and a message said "no new updates".
When I clicked the desktop AVG icon , I received a message (see message 1).
I was able to open the AVG Control Center-Database said it hadnt been updated since Dec.17 2005(or approx.). However I KNOW I received an update just a few days before(I check daily for updates).
Antivirus AVG is now up to date(I was able to get the Jan31/2006 update late evening that night).
At first I kept receiving the "Bad Image" message for AVG desktop icon, but once the Jan31 update was on the computer, I dont get that message for AVG anymore.
I continue to receive the "Bad Image" message for various other applications/programs.

Windows Version: Windows XP SP2 Home Edition- 2 user Accounts set up (mine password controlled)

Firewall: WindowsXP SP2 default firewall

Anti virus program: AVG Free 7.1.375 database 267.15.0 249 02/02/2006-set to auto update daily but I check manually as well to make sure-auto scan daily.

Other Protection Software:
Spybot Search & Destroy1.4 detection date 2006-01-27 Default Mode-manual check daily for updates-scan daily

Spyware Blaster-manual daily check for updates(BEFORE when I could access the program)

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition(downloaded Feb2/06(after the troubles happened-manual check daily for updates-scan daily-NO "Bad Image" or "Unexpected Error" message received-works great!!!

Content Advisor Program activated & password controlled by me(I have 2 late teen boys)

NOTE: Used to have Spyware Guard-deleted June2005 but I think restricted sites are still active on list.

Exact error message 1: "The application or DLL C:/Windows/system32/.......is not a valid Windows image. Please check your installation disk." (not sure what that is-installation disk cause computer came new with pre-programmed operating system).

Exact error message 2: "Unexpected Error".(for Spyware Blaster & HijackThis ONLY)

Programs/applications affected (ones that Ive noticed so far):

taskmgr.exe (see message1)...VDMDBG.dll . Task manager WONT load from right click on taskbar OR from CTRL ALT DEL keys.

spybotSD.exe (see message1) ...Srclient.dll Program DOES load, scan & update.

spywareblaster.exe see message 2)( Program tries to load page but then message appears.

rundll.exe(see message 1)

msnmgr.exe (see message1) ....msdmo.dll

HijackThis

System Restore (see message1) ...rstrui.exe
I cant access system restore to turn it off OR to go back to a restore point. The window loads for me to choose a previous point or to create a new one; however, the "Bad Image" message comes up when I choose "previous restore point". It appears that I may be able to create a NEW restore point though.

WHAT IVE DONE SO FAR:

1. "How to clean an infected computer" (AVG Free forum instructions) -followed all instructions-thats when I discovered that System Restore couldnt be accessed.

2. Ran Disk Cleanup utility [Cleanup]-program used 2X monthly
on my computer since May2005 when "little eagle"-Spybot Moderator instructed me to download & use it.

3. AVG Complete Scan (Normal & Safe modes)-NO VIRUSES

4. Spybot S&D scan (Normal & Safe modes)-up to date definitions-NO PROBLEMS

5. Ad-Aware scan-NO PROBLEMS

6. Defrag

7. Chkdsk -including fix & repair (Normal & Safe modes)

8. Feb 2/06 Posted for help on Antivirus free forum[http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum]

9. Directed from there to [aumha.org] to "The Parasite Fight" pages for info & a copy of Hijack his(I got it here instead)& told by moderator to go with info/situation to Spyware site where I trust the people.

10. Today Read at Spybot "Before you post a log", followed instructions, did scan at [Bit Defender Virus Scan] site, Spybot scan & downloaded HJT files into [C:Antispyware2006] folder(there is a previous "Antispyware" folder from when I got help here in May2005-didnt know if I was supposed to erase it.).

11. Attempted to use HJT to scan but got "Unexpected Error" message.

:o I sure hope that you can help me or direct me to where I can get help.
I also hope I didnt give TOO much info BUT that I gave enough.

Thank you from Dorothy-Im still hopeful that this situation can be fixed