Thread: Vista and MVPS Hosts file . .CAUTION ! ! !

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Vista and MVPS Hosts file . .CAUTION ! ! !

Just noticed you have suggested some to use the MVPSdotOrg website for their HOSTS file. Well I must advise there needs to be some checking into this because I just attempted to install HOSTS on my Vista system, only about a week old and it died/w BSOD and shut off. Did not even get a chance to read the BSOD information, screen full at that too. That happened last night, this morning called my friend that is my Geek-a-Zoid computer Xxpert and we talked about what had occurred. He recommended I roll back to one of the back ups to a date that was before that attempted install. Could not do anything with Windows, all Icons were set to a IE default (white square with a blue "e" lower case) so used the DVD and did a "R" repair. It said there were NOT any problems so I did a restore from about three days ago and all went well and my NEW system is working again. My processor is 64 bit but running a 32 bit system. My recommendations would be, "be very careful what you install and READ the data on the program BEFORE install to insure you are not causing more troubles for yourself in the long run." Plus Microsoft has a little program 'User Profile Hive Cleaner' that is NOT compatible with VISTA and only mentions this in a very short sentence and if you read too fast may miss the information. CAUTION ! ! ! CAUTION ! ! ! CAUTION ! ! !

Edited by LoneLurker > Here is the site from Microsoft about the Hosts file and Vista not modifiable:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923947

I recommend using extreme caution . . .
    Last edited by LoneLurker; 2008-07-21 at 02:15.
    LoneLurker"LoneWanderer""Adults are obsolete children. Dr. Seuss
    Win7 Pro SP1 x64;FireFox V. current: SBS&D V. current; WinPatrol, WinPrivacy, WinAntiRansom