The fix I posted above only works for a PC with HyperThreading (HTT) which first became available on P4 3.0GHz (3000MHz) and faster processors. It isn't the only reason for freezes or hangs during scan, and usually occurs at random (not the same) place during each scan. It also dosn't happen to all HTT PCs, since most such issues were fixed during the Beta phase of Spybot S&D 1.4.

I had requested that a few still having these issues with an HTT PC try a slightly different test which makes the Set Affinity permanent. However, no one ever responded, so I've never been able to confirm it works. If either of you having the issue would be willing to try it, I'll go look up the information again. It requires changing a small portion of the Spybot executable itself using a command line utility, but it's really quite easy as I tested it myself to be certain it caused no problems and changed nothing else.

orta02: Your issue sounds different since your scan always occurs at the same place. There are several other reasons this can occur so you need to start a separate thread to trouble-shoot your issue. I assume you've tried leaving the scan for at least a few minutes, if not try that first, then post in the new tread including your information above.