Thread: Understanding Immunization

Default Understanding Immunization

Ive just upgraded to spybot 1.5.1, and in vesion 1.4 there were 2 levels of immunization, the first added thousands of IP addresses to the list of resticted sites in the IE setting (I used to immunize this 1st one).The second was the the permanant bad download blocker (I never wanted to use this cus I found it blocking safe sites and I thought it might interfear with my internet security)
    Now I've upgraded there is just option ,immunize or not but there lots of different things it blocks aggaist i.e cookies ,hosts Ip addresses plus more.
    What exxactly does it do ,is it a combernation of both of the things in version 1.4 or is there more things added and how can I just have the IP addresses added to the resticted list in the IE settings.basicley I'm just confused about what it does.
    I hope I make sence from Kobas
    BTW the stick note explaining this in the forum is for v1.4 which I understand.
    Last edited by kobas; 2007-09-16 at 16:49. Reason: forgot something

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

See if the following pinned (Sticky) thread helps:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I am a little bit astosnished, how a sticky dated from 2005 (as far as I can see not updaterd) can help to explain the differences between 1.4 and 1.5.

In regaards of kobas' question I think, that you can in 1.5 enable / diable the download blocker / SD helper in tools -> resident. The fine tuning (show dialog, ask, block silently) seems now only be doable in the context menu of the teatimer in the tray. This is not a bad solution, but it is also not self-explanatory. And especially the useres of spybot 1.4 (and that are supposed to be 99+% of all 1.5-users) will of course search for this on the long time used place.

It would be really nice, if somebody of the team could add a sticky, which explains the differences of the 2 versions. E.g. there are checkmarks in the new immunization window at the left, but I cannot figure out, what they are expected to do - and I could not see, that they do anything at all for me.
    Greetings,
    Thomas

Thanks for replying ,I agree with you Cosmo (the stick is dated 2005 how can this help with the differences between V1.4 and V1.5.1).
    And thanx I have now managed to disable the bad download blocker,but I would still like to know what the Immunization in V1.5 does and the differences with V1.4
    Cheers Kobas

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    E.g. there are checkmarks in the new immunization window at the left, but I cannot figure out, what they are expected to do - and I could not see, that they do anything at all for me.
    Cosmo, I am also working through an upgrade to the latest SpyBot version. With respect to your question about the checkmarks in the window, I believe they signal which items are subsequently either added or deleted when you (first have the one(s) you want checked and then) click the Immunize or Undo option (respectively). For example: With nothing protected (presumably the default setting), click only the top two checkboxes and then click on Immunize. (The first two get added to the "Protected" column with their totals listed in green.) Next, click only the second checkbox and then click on Undo. (Only the second option changes from "Protected" to "Unprotected" with its total listed in red.) You will see the graphic of the brick wall being built as processing is being done.

P.S.:
    Did any of you notice that some kind of built-in "game" starts if you click the "shield" icon to the left of the word "Immunize"? (The start of this game is accompanied by the sound of a horse whinneying.)

Thank you for the info, NotCody.
    After my post I had played some more with these check-boxes and came to the same result.
    Greetings,
    Thomas