Thread: /allhives switch doesn't detect inactive Win

Default /allhives switch doesn't detect inactive Win

I have two instances of WinXP installed on the same PC, on two different disks in their primary partitions.
    The disks are on different controllers, one a NVIDIA RAID controller and the other a standard IDE controller.
    I switch the OS using the BIOS.
    In Windows, the disk containing the other OS is E:\
    If I start SpyBot with the \allhives switch, the inactive installation isn't seen - only C:\Windows is shown.

It's /allhives, not \allhives
    Does the welcome screen of Spybot show anything at all? Usually, when run with /allhives, below the three buttons there'll appear a list of loaded system & user profiles. Or is that what you already did describe as "only C:\Windows is shown"?

And you could also try RegAlyzer, if that works with /allhives.

I've just today created a bootable CD with Spybot-S&D on it and have noticed that /allhives works quite fine there
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Yes, not only C:\Windows is displayed, but also a list of users under C:\Documents and Settings.

Launching RegAnalyzer with the /allhives switch the program starts with the window included (gif file)

Is it necessary to use a bootable CD to see the inactive installation?

No, it should not matter whether you're running from a BartPE CD, or a WinPE CD (see beta forum btw), or specify /allhives . That info about the loaded things are displayed means that it's in the proper mode.
    If RegAlyer recognizes them, Spybot-S&D should as well (not the bare version 1.4 though, you need either the PE-tuned 1.4 which imho isn't available anywhwere except on the German Heise websites, or version 1.5).
    Does your Windows folder on E: have a different name than "Windows" or "WinNT" maybe?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

The version of Spybot is 1.5.1.15.
    The folder is named "WINDOWS"; the installation is standard except for the lacking of the pagefile.

Default Does /allhives check alternate %SYSTEM_ROOT% names?

I have three hard drives, three systems, XP, XP and 2K. All boot fine using Windows Boot Manager (the micro$oft thing).

My windows root folder is named WINDOWS on the XP systems and WINNT on the 2K system.

Running SpyBot /allhives on either XP system finds both XP systems, but doesn't find the 2K system in the WINNT folder. SpyBot on the 2K system finds all 3 OS.

This suggests that SpyBot allhives might just be searching for a \Windows folder, as opposed to looking for something like \*\SYSTEM32, to use as a starting point for verifying the existence of another Windows system.

Have I discovered a possible change?
    Last edited by JMThomas; 2008-01-07 at 20:48.

Default Bump

Quote Originally Posted by JMThomas View Post
    I have three hard drives, three systems, XP, XP and 2K. All boot fine using Windows Boot Manager (the micro$oft thing).

My windows root folder is named WINDOWS on the XP systems and WINNT on the 2K system.

Running SpyBot /allhives on either XP system finds both XP systems, but doesn't find the 2K system in the WINNT folder. SpyBot on the 2K system finds all 3 OS.

This suggests that SpyBot allhives might just be searching for a \Windows folder, as opposed to looking for something like \*\SYSTEM32, to use as a starting point for verifying the existence of another Windows system.

Have I discovered a possible change?
    Or should I start a new thread for the answer to my questions?

Thanks!

Default Bump

I'm sorry for any offense from the tone of my query.

Yet, would someone kindly address this question?