Thread: Security Center Disabled?

Question Security Center Disabled?

Hi!

I'm not sure where to put this. . .I've looked around and saw that someone thought the following message was a false positive -->

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled
    settings: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc\Start!=W=2

I've checked and my firewall is on and allows exceptions. I don't know what else to check. My computer has been running slow (especially when using FireFox) for the past few days. I'm worried I picked up something from Facebook which I also just recently joined. I also updated my host file after the computer starting running slow thinking that maybe the ads were the problem with FireFox. Every time I run spybot, the message above appears. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Gracie

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

That detection is not a false positive. The detection indicates that the starting of the Windows Security Center is not set to automatic so that Windows Security Center will not start when you start your system.

There may be an explanation, however it is not normal.

If you go to Start > Run > type "services.msc" (no quotes) in the Open box > and then click OK the windows Services application will start. If you scroll down in the right pane until you see Security Center and either double click on Security Center or right click on Security Center and choose Properties from the context menu, the Security Center Properties window will open. You will note that:
    • The Startup type is Disabled (it is normally Automatic).
    • The Services Status is Stopped (it is normally Started).

If you run McAfee or Norton products, please read post #3 in the following thread:

Otherwise, if you did not intentionally disable the starting of the Windows Security Center, I suggest that fix the Spybot detection and try to determine the cause of why Windows Security Center was disabled.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you! I have done the fix that spybot offers every time I run it - and it keeps going back. I went in to fix it the way you said and when I tried to change the service status it said:

Could not start the Security Center service on Local Computer.

Error 123:The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

What file is it referring to? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thank you. Gracie

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

craftiegracie:

What OS are you running?

If Windows XP SP2, there is a fix published here for Windows XP SP2:
    • Error 1083 while attempting to start the Security Center service in Windows XP SP2
      http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wscsvcfix.htm

Note: The fix also indicates it's for:
      • Could not start the Security Center service on Local Computer.
        Error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Please note that I have never personally encountered this problem, so I am not familiar with the fix suggested above. However, from past experience that site generally publishes reliable information for fixing problems.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.