Thread: All Programs on my computer stop working

Exclamation All Programs on my computer stop working

Everything except for about 4 programs on my computer give the following message when I try and run them SPYBOT included (I've been using vista for a while).

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel"

I even tried to re-download SPYBOT but I get this same error message when I try and install it.

I tried to do a restore and this would not work. I can't re-start in Safe mode.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by lmckain; 2007-11-08 at 03:58.

Lightbulb more info please....

more info please....like how much ram, processor speed etc. (you can find all this info. by right clicking my computer and click properties.) What version of spybot to you have? Is it literally ALL programs on your computer getting that error, or is that just an exaggeration?
    When did this start happening? did you download any new software? visit any new sites then usual? Remove any spyware or virus recently? It could be a serious infection, or just somehow all the links to tell your computer where everything is, is gone. try deffraging your hard drive......and u said system restore will not restore? Make sure it is running by right clicking my computer, going to properties, system restore tab and make sure turn off on all drives is UNselected. if it is selected, clear the check mark and click apply, then ok. restart your system. Then try to restore. Are all your programs still there in the add/remove list? Did you try going to Microsoft's web site and downloading all updates? Usually i would get that message you are saying you are getting when i create a shortcut and then the shortcut is not linked to the right file or program. And thats usually what this error means. Those errors were common for me on a windows 98 system though, not newer ones. hope this helps, if i cant help you i hope someone else can that is better and knows more about the windows vista operating system.(In case the prob. is to big for me, but hey, i gave it a shot.)
    Last edited by 129260; 2007-11-08 at 04:20.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

It sounds like your problem is a file association problem.

If you are running Windows XP, the following Web page has fixes for problems with file associations:

The fix for EXE files is:

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
    Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    It sounds like your problem is a file association problem.

If you are running Windows XP, the following Web page has fixes for problems with file associations:

The fix for EXE files is:
    he's running windows vista he said.

Exclamation Same problem +1

For me it's under Win98 : since S&D 1.5 the office tool bar doesn't work properly. Giving the same error message if launching anything. It's revealed to be the same source : any link to an exe file. If launching the .exe from it's folder it's ok, but any link to an exe file gives the same error message.

The point is that an exe is not supposed to need any association : not calling an other application the be opened. It is the application itself !

Could you fix that point ? Because if not it's better without any protection. (No problem with 1.4 in the past, only since 1.5)

I must say when you uninstall spybot 1.5, no problem. The PC works again fine.

Thank you

PS/ To be known (not the same problem) but teatimer still doesn't work under win98 (was the same with 1.4)

Default same problem

same EXACT problem, actually.
    did you ever figure it out?

Arrow everyone on this thread here that is having probs...

please download the latest spybot beta, which should fix any issues you have. post back and let me know if this fixed em'.

heres the link: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22299

Lightbulb to lmckain:

this sounds to me like you have ether a very infected system, or vista went nutz and requires a reinstall. Those are my opinions. A spybot team member may be able to share more light in this area and assist you better. However, i would backup all my data, and reinstall vista, or uninstall all programs on your computer and reinstall them. Those are my suggestions, hope that helps you....
    GOOD LUCK!! post back here as soon as you can and let me know was up.