Thread: Internet Explorer often fails to open

Default Internet Explorer often fails to open

I have been using Spybot for a very long time and always loved it. Unfortunately I have a problem since 1.5 came out. I now have the latest version 1.5.2.20 but the problem remains. When I try to start Internet Explorer it often won’t open a browser window, about 1 in 3 times. I get the hourglass briefly then nothing. iexpore.exe is listed as a running process in task manager, several times if I have several failed attempts.
    Importantly, I have two PCs (very different hardware) running Windows XP with SP2 upgrade (IE6) and the problem is identical on both machines. I just did a full format and reload on one PC and after installing Spybot 1.5.2.20 the fault returned. If I deselect SD Helper in Spybot tools and leave TeaTimer running the problem is gone, on both machines. If I remove TeaTimer and leave SD Helper running the problem remains, so it’s down to SD Helper I guess. Uninstalling my AVG Free makes no difference. I tried setting the SD Helper to ask for confirmation before blocking, but no change. Any help would be great, I feel vulnerable without my full protection!

Arrow well for now...

until a spybot team member can give you a solution, i would use firefox. I haven't even bothered to check if this issue is on my computer, because i only use firefox. I gotta check that sometime. so ya, not much help i know, but its a thought.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Spogg:

Are you using a Google toolbar?

There have been several reports that Internet Explorer fails to launch when both the Google Toolbar and SDHelper are run together.

If you are running the Google toolbar, which version is it?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile

Yay!! You fixed it! I was running version 4.0.1601.4978-big/en of the Google toolbar. I unistalled it on both machines and now explorer opens every time with SD Helper running. I'm so impressed at your fast response.
    Of course I installed Google Toolbar because I really like it and use it, so I hope there will be fix to SD soon so I can use it again.
    Many thanks.

Default Any updates?

I was debating about starting another thread...

I too have the problem with Google Toolbar and SDHelper not being on friendly terms; about 1 in 3 tries would result in a "Dead" internet explorer (frozen; only available option is to close it with the X), if I were to start up IE with "about:blank" as the homepage. Launching a shortcut as the first IE window would hang ~95% of the time (the URL says "connecting", but the window is dead).

Because IE can share processes, once I got a good one, it was OK for a while (whether or not IE spawns another process seems to be a mystery)... but once I encountered a frozen IE, it usually required a reboot to get another functional IE process (if I still had a good window, I could continue using it as long as I needed to).

I'm a "heavy" browser (~25-30 windows / tabs) of IE open at most times...

Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot?

Default Browsers Not Working

Hey, after updating and running spybot today, firefox wouldn't open and internet explorer wasn't able to connect to any websites. Can anyone help me out? I tried restoring the problems i fixed with spybot. I tried a system restore. I tried to reinstall firefox, and now all that comes up is a windows window "firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience." I even tried to run winsock fix. Aim works. So it seems to be a problem with the browsers. Does anyone know what Spybot could have done to my computer?

What should i do?

Default My solution...

I've upgraded to IE7 which is fine. I've had no more problems with Spybot and Google Toolbar since. Updated Spybot today (14.4.08) and still seems ok.

@Jbird69... didn't you post this already? You just copied what you said in one thread and posted it another. While you have your own thread, I would suggest you be patient.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=26789