Thread: TeaTimer blocks Registry change - need more information

Default TeaTimer blocks Registry change - need more information

Hi,
    Im currently trying to get rid of some particularly nasty programs, and so far Spybot has been of great help, especially TeaTimer stopping the re-adding of startup keys.I believe that I have cleaned my system of most parts of the spyware, but I keep getting TeaTimer alerts about a new BHO-Entry. As I've cleaned all places that were obvious to me I'm at a dead end because I can only see that someone wants to add the BHO but not WHICH programm/process/thread is doing it. Is there any way to get TeaTimer to tell me?
    Thanks in advance!
    Falcon

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

alphafalcon:

What is the CLSID (class ID) of the BHO? Copy the registry change for the BHO from the Resident.log into a new post in this thread.

There are several ways to access the Resident.log file:
    1. Right click on the TeaTimer (Spybot-SD Resident) system tray icon and select Show Log.
    2. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
    3. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Select the Resident.log file and open it.
    4. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the Resident.log file located in one of the following directories:
      • Windows 95 or 98:
        C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Windows ME:
        C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
        C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Windows Vista:
        C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs

Double click on Resident.log file and it should open with Notepad.

To copy information from the log into the Clipboard:
    • Highlight the portion of the log that you want to copy.
    • Right click and select Copy.

Paste (Ctrl+V) the information from the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-05-15 at 06:35.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

thanks for the reply,
    I managed to get rid of the spyware (some virtumonde variant I think) by booting linux and manually deleting its dll, so no need for help with cleaning up anymore I'm still curious if theres a way to see which process wanted to change something in the registry.
    Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

alphafalcon:

TeaTimer does not capture information about what process made the registry change because TeaTimer actually detects that a registry change has occurred after the fact and allows you to reverse the change by doing a "Deny change".

If you have a recurring registry change, you can determine what process is making that change using a registry monitoring program. One such program is Regmon:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for