Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation Problems

Default Installation Problems

Hi

Having problems installating S&D. The attached screenshot gives an indication of what is happening.
    Previously I had S&D working properly but since trying to do a scan with Trend Micro pcvirus scan which also caused problems. That prog asked me to uninstall S&D in order for it to run properly. Trend Micro did not work properly and since trying to reinstall S&D I am experiencing problems.

Spybot's team is still fixing that problem. From your screenshot, you seem to be running Windows XP. Is it patched? Also, what version of Trend Micro are you running? Pc-Chilling? Internet Security? Please specify.

Have you tried disabling your Trend Micro AV and then installing? Did you try installing the latest version?

Lightbulb a simple fix:

during installation, uncheck download updates immediately. install spybot and then open it. go through the wizard, and when it asks you to update do so. Make sure your firewall is letting spybot to access the Internet. This is a known issue, it occurs when some users choose to download updates immediately when they install. Usually it is because a firewall prevents the installation wizard from connecting to the Internet. Try that and see if that helps. Thanks for providing the screenshot, it shows that that should be the issue you are experiencing. While drragostea was correct in saying that there is an compatibility issue with some of trend micros software, (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23504) I believe what I told you is the issue you are experiencing. Many users have asked this question before Good luck and let me know if that works!!
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-05-31 at 01:41.

Hi Guys

Your input appreciated and understood up to a point bearing in mind that my PC knowledge is not very technical.
    Anyway I decided to sidestep trend micro as it was not only asking to uninstall S&D but it also wanted me to uninstall Spywareblaster. Too much hassle.
    Actually I do not use Trend Micro but I was in the process of posting a thread regarding antivirus and wanted to send off a log using HJT. One of the things required that I did was, a scan using the trend micro trial version.
    The forum which I was using is PCPITSTOP. There were options mentioned.

I am not quite sure if Safer Networking Forums deals with HJT problems. If so can you please direct me in finding details as to what is required of me before posting a HJT log for examination. Reason is that I find my PC of late running rather slow in some instances. Perhaps a virus lirking somewhere and causing me problems.
    There is one other major problem which is currently being experienced and that is whenever certain programs run my CPU is very high and a whirring sound is being heard like the fan permanently being activated. Could that have anything to do with too little RAM?

Returning to problem why I made contact in the first instance, S&D is once again running after reinstalling and doing what you suggested.

Tks for your help / advice

Kaput

Alright from your description, you are running a trial version of Trend Micro correct? I'll assume that will be temporarily. Is Trend Micro an anti-virus? Anti-spyware? Both or is it INTERNET SECURITY?

Specify what OS (OPERATING SYSTEM) you are using. eg. XP, 2000, Vista, etc. Also how much RAM your computer has. If you have Windows XP SP2, you should be able to see the CONTROL PANEL. It is found in the Start Menu.
    - Click on "Performance and Maintenance" and click on "System". The following window should display your Operating System, Make, Year, Service Pack(s), and also how much RAM you have.

The high-CPU usage may not necessarily be a inadequate RAM problem. It may be due to running a "heavy" CPU-process. For example, running a full scan with an anti-virus program. That may result in a heavy CPU usage.

What I'm curious... maybe concerned with... What programs for example are you using? Everyday word processing or Internet browsers that cause the high-CPU usage and the activation of the fan?

You should only submit a hijack log to the Malware Forums, if your computer shows signs of infection. And yes, SaferNetworking forums supports HJK logs.
    But first, I need the answers to those questions. That will give us a better chance of resolving your problem.

Also, was the SBSD installing successful?

Default Can't Install

Ok, here's the problem. I am trying to install S&D 1.5.2, the latest version. After I choose the setup language, there is another screen just informing me that S&D will be installed (general SOP with Windows applications). Ok, so I hit next. Then I get the annoying sound that denotes an error in Windows. You know, the one that sounds like a base chord. It's the same sound you get when there's a .dll error, or a C++ Runtime error. However, no message is displayed explaining the error. Instead, the application merely terminates without warning, and no info is provided. I have tried downloading the setup file from multiple mirrors, to no avail, always with the same results. Please help!!!!!

Don't quite know if I am doing this correctly but giving it a try. This is in response regarding reinstallation of Spybot. Following below mentioned pleased to say that installation worked fine and now once again able to use Program. Further threads will be answered shortly

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    during installation, uncheck download updates immediately. install spybot and then open it. go through the wizard, and when it asks you to update do so. Make sure your firewall is letting spybot to access the Internet. This is a known issue, it occurs when some users choose to download updates immediately when they install. Usually it is because a firewall prevents the installation wizard from connecting to the Internet. Try that and see if that helps. Thanks for providing the screenshot, it shows that that should be the issue you are experiencing. While drragostea was correct in saying that there is an compatibility issue with some of trend micros software, (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23504) I believe what I told you is the issue you are experiencing. Many users have asked this question before Good luck and let me know if that works!!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jodylove View Post
    Ok, here's the problem. I am trying to install S&D 1.5.2, the latest version. After I choose the setup language, there is another screen just informing me that S&D will be installed (general SOP with Windows applications). Ok, so I hit next. Then I get the annoying sound that denotes an error in Windows. You know, the one that sounds like a base chord. It's the same sound you get when there's a .dll error, or a C++ Runtime error. However, no message is displayed explaining the error. Instead, the application merely terminates without warning, and no info is provided. I have tried downloading the setup file from multiple mirrors, to no avail, always with the same results. Please help!!!!!
    Have tried completely uninstalling spybot (see here for the correct procedure) and clearing out you tempory files and Internet Temp files Cache and then reinstalling Spybot?

PS:

What version of Windows are running and is it fully Patched?

What Anti-Virus Software are you running?

Which Firewall are you using e.g. Zone Alarm, Comodo etc?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Default Installation

Hi Terminator,

Tks but this input was by Jodylove and I assume maybe different to my prob.
    Hopefully during the course of today will be responding to previous input regarding my problems

Tks
    Kaput

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Kaput:

Personally, I can't tell what the problem you are encountering is because I can't see the detail in your screen print. If I might, I that suggest that you either describe the error messages you are getting or at lease do a screen print of the open windows rather than the entire screen by using Alt + Print Screen rather than Ctrl + Print Screen.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.