Thread: McAfee VirusScand and Safer Networking

Default McAfee VirusScand and Safer Networking

I'm not sure if I should post this in this forum, but here goes: McAfee VirusScan detected Regalyzer and Filealyzer by Safer Networking as a PUP(potentially unwanted program) on April 10,2006. Specifically it detected the files unis000.exe as belonging to SysProtect, a program sometimes associated with the Vundo trojan. I believe that this was a false positive and reported it to McAFee. I am concered that if I tell McAfee to allow those files in Regalyzer and Filealyzer, it would not detect the real threat if the actual SysProtect program was somehow downloaded by a trojan. In McAfee's description of that PUP, one of the file names is the same as ones used by Safer Networking. Is having the same file name a danger, or should proper detection by McAfee by able to differentiate between the Safer Networking files and the SysProtect files? I believe that this is McAfee's problem, but could the renaming of these files by Safer Networking prevent confusion with that other program which is a potential malware? I don't quite understand how all this works, so any insights would be helpful. I intend to reinstall the Safer Networking programs as soon as McAfee corrects this detection. I find those 2 programs very helpful, espcially Regalyzer.
    Old Rebel

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

OldRebel:

The file unis000.exe is common to many programs. The virus scan signature should not be looking just for a file name. It should also be looking for length, hash values, etc. so that it is detecting (when ever possible) just the offending file.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRebel
    I believe that this was a false positive and reported it to McAFee.
    Did you send the actual files to McAfee using these instructions?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

No, I wish I had submitted them, but didn't think of it until after I uninstalled. I checked the McAfee forums and there were other reports of the same dectection. I believe some of them have already submitted the files to Avert.BTW- after the uninstall, the McAfee on access scanner also detected another file in my %temp% folder but I forgot to make a note of its name. I had driven all day with only 2 /12 hours sleep and was not up to par when dealing with this last night. I'll reinstall both programs in a few days and see what happens.
    Old Rebel

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

OldRebel:

It looks like the problem with the McAfee detections of the following may be resolved:
    • FileAlyzer - unins000.exe
    • RegAlyzer - unins000.exe (which you did not indicate that you had a problem with)
    • RunAlyzer - unins000.exe

The following update does not seem to detect the problems with the above that were detected by DAT 4737 (04-10-2006):
    • Bld. 10.0.27 Eng. 4400 DAT 4738 (04-11-2006)

Let’s hope that they in their exuberance to fix a possible false positive did not eliminate a real detection that may come back to bite us.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Yes, apparently so. I just updated and found an extra DAT to address this detection in my Event Viewer log:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: McLogEvent
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5000
    Date: 4/11/2006
    Time: 4:55:24 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: XXXXXX
    Description:
    McAfee McShield service started - scanning for 186526 viruses.
    Engine version : 4.4.00
    .DAT version : 4738

EXTRA.DAT name : EXTRA.DAT
    Number of virus signatures in EXTRA.DAT : 1
    Names of viruses that EXTRA.DAT can detect : SysProtect

Now I need to reinstall my programs!
    Old Rebel