SlmJon:

Quote Originally Posted by SlmJon View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm still stuck too. My XP is toast & I guess I'm gonna try to buy the Fix-It software. My Vista machine (I'm on it now) went through the same install with Spybot but I haven't shut it down in a few days so I'm still alive. What do I do to this machine before it dies, too? Will a system restore work?
I did think Vista would be a problem because I didn't believe the versions of Spybot involved involved in the problem ran properly under Vista.

Please note: I don't run Vista so the following instructions/suggestions are for a Windows XP system:

What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy are you running (Spybot » Help » About) on the Vista system?

If you were running either Spybot 1.3 or Spybot 1.4 and did a fix on a detection for HellzLittleSpy a registry entry would have been changed that causes you to be logged off immediately after you log on.

If you are running an old version, delected HellzLittleSpy and did a fix, I suggest that you do not attempt a system restore. I suggest that you attempt a recovery through Spybot. Go into Spybot » Recovery, highlight the entry for HellzLittleSpy and do a "Recover selected items".

Then verify that the following registry entry exists. On Windows XP the normal entry is looks like this from a registry export:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"
Or like this in Registry Editor (regedit.exe):

Code:
Userinit REG_SZ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
Where:
  • Name: Userinit
  • Type: REG_SZ
  • Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,