Thread: is spybot.com legitimate?

Default is spybot.com legitimate?

i ask cause i recently reinstalled windows and i was lazy and just typed spybot.com into the URL bar rather than googling spybot to find the correct site. it seemed to be the right site (looked like i remembered) so i went and downloaded from there. but today i read in spybot's wiki entry that there are malicious clones, and then i noticed the proper site is actually safer-networking.org, not spybot.com. My spybot installation seems ok... but now i'm wondering, could i have installed one of those clones? is spybot.com legit like it looks, or is it a phishing site?

Retired

Hello GGhoward,
    I think everything is ok with your installation. Spybot.com is fine because it is our website too.

regards,
    Markus

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

GGhoward:

The sites www.safer-networking.org, www.spybot.com and www.spybot.info all point to the same IP Address (currently 89.238.64.39), so they are all legit. I added www.spybot.info to the discussion because that is where the links (Home, Support, Download and Donate) at the top of this page point.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

thanks!