Thread: File scanning

Default File scanning

I temporarily moved a 20GB from one machine to another for purposes of file scanning. I scanned for viuses and then noticed a Spybot scan function. I started the scan 3 days ago and it isn't half done yet. Is this normal?
    The drive is full, mostly pictures, and it takes 5-20econds to scan each file. At this rate it would take about 235 hours.

Thanks for great products

Quote Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
    At this rate it would take about 235 hours.
    Yes, you are correct it will take maybe forever . Spybot-SD's right-click scanning function (Windows Explorer;single file) is not meant to scan a whole drive as that will take weeks.

Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 introduces this feature (implemented for a future 2.0 version), but it was meant to scan single files only. As a alternative, you can use another anti-virus/malware scanning to scan the whole drive.

As a alternative, you can use another anti-virus/malware scanning to scan the whole drive.
    that shouldnt be necessary, why does spybot do this in another way than the other scanners?

this is another case, but malware traces will also be left behind on the computer when not scanning the files that is necessary to scan, why not do a complete cleanup of every malware file and registry trace?
    Last edited by blues; 2008-08-27 at 13:39.

How are you suppose to perform a "cleanup" of the traces and in the registry, blues?

I am suggesting that the user uses another anti-virus/malware scanning, because Spybot-SD's right-click scanning function is not meant to scan a whole drive!

How are you suppose to perform a "cleanup" of the traces and in the registry, blues?
    other anti-malware have detected traces that spybot didnt detect on my computer, i am not talking about the rightclickscan now. spybot doesnt look for all traces.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-08-27 at 17:59.

As the thread was created by Pliny, it would be great if you would stop hijacking it. It would be hard for the member to find a conclusion.

i am talking about some of the same, how spybot scans for malware, so it is not hijacking. this is a discussion forum, and you are not a moderator. but i will not continue on it anymore now.

Cut it out.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016