Thread: Spybot 1.6 updating error using Vista

Default Spybot 1.6 updating error using Vista

I keep getting an "Error retrieving update info file" message in Spybot 1.6, which never appeared in 1.5.

I'm running the following: Vista Home Premium, SpySweeper, & AVG. I get the same result with both SpySweeper & AVG closed.

There is no place that I know of in Vista to set program settings for the firewall.

"Use proxy to connect to update server" is unchecked.

I've uninstalled the program and reinstalled it, but that didn't cure my problem.

I get "Error retrieving update info file" message both whether I try a manual update or if updates are checked automatically when Spybot starts up.

What do I do?
    Thanks for your reply!

Jack

Are you receiving this error during the 'Update' process?
    Have you chosen a mirror?

Can you do a complete uninstall and reinstall?

Default Spybot 1.6 updating error using Vista

Are you receiving this error during the 'Update' process? No,, when I run Spybot.

Have you chosen a mirror? No, Help says to turn off proxy. Where would I pick a mirror? I've never been given a choice.

Can you do a complete uninstall and reinstall? Been there done that; didn't help.
    Thanks for your reply!

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by nassau62 View Post
    Are you receiving this error during the 'Update' process? No,, when I run Spybot.

Have you chosen a mirror? No, Help says to turn off proxy. Where would I pick a mirror? I've never been given a choice.

Can you do a complete uninstall and reinstall? Been there done that; didn't help.
    Clarification: The update process never runs thru, but hangs w/ the "Error retrieving update info file" message.
    Thanks for your reply!

Jack