Thread: Virus prevents access to most programs

Default Virus prevents access to most programs

My husband allowed the virus scanner (avast) to expire on his laptop so he was unprotected. Surprisingly enough, this resulted in a massive virus issue! I can access very few programs. everything else results in a small screen that states that said program is infected and asks if I want to run a virus scan program called "antivirus system pro" that i am sure i don't have. Occasionally what i believe to be a fake message pops up in the lower right corner of the screen that says "infiltration alert" and states that the computer is receiving an attack and asks if i want to block it. The issue is that the computer has been taken offline, so I have trouble believing it is receiving a port attack.

I finally managed to get avast working, but I cannot update it, and a thorough virus scan resulted in nothing. Moreover, Windows is still telling me that I have no virus protection. The continuous protection avast provides will not activate.

IE keeps popping up every few seconds trying to access infected websites.

I am not capable of initiating HJT or Erunt or Taskmanager. Is the computer totally screwed? What should I do (aside from killing my husband)?

FYI, you can close this topic. I followed some instructions I found on Bleeping Computer.com and the issue seems to be gone. Thank you for your time.