Thread: Browsers deny access or send to wrong sites

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Security Expert-Emeritus Dakeyras's Avatar

Hi.

No problem what you mentioned these things happen............If I do mange to remove the malware from your machine some serious system maintenance will be in order but we can address such in due course.

OK you are going to have to perform a cold shut down with your machine, not good but the only viable option in this scenario. Hold down your computers power on/switch on button until the machine is powered down completely.

If the need merely disconnect from the mains.

Reboot into Safe Mode:

How to boot into Safe Mode:

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap the F8 key. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode, do so.

If any problems refer to this tutorial.

Next:

In Safe Mode when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears use the Arrow(On the number pad part of the keyboard)keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press the Enter/Return key.

Also do you have a Genuine Windows XP CD-ROM or can borrow one from a family member/friend at all if the need arises?

Let myself know the outcome before we proceed further please.
    Mammuthus Hibernian Scouserus, member of ASAP and UNITE.

Phew.

OK, did that (chose Last known.....) - and its taken me to a screen where I have to choose between

Windows XP Media Center Edition
    or
    Safe Mode

(it has Last Known Good Configuration in ble at bottom of screen)

Hi.

Choose Last Known Good Configuration and let your machine boot up as normal.

Have you got a Genuine Windows XP CD-ROM or not if we need it? This you can inform myself about in your next reply when you post the logs requested.

Once booted up run Rkill, do not worry about the log, close down the notepad file for it. So you can post the log for myself to review it can be found here:-

C:\rkill.txt.

Next:

Re-run GMER again as outlined here.

When completed the above post the logs requested and or let myself know if any further problems encountered, thank you.

I used f8 and got list options. Chose "Last Known etc - but it just takes me the screen I normally get - giving an option to start in Windows XP Media Centre Edition or in Safe Mode. But if I choose the Windows XP it just freezes in black screen like before.
    It does let me choose f8 again, but then I just go around in circles.

(Can't find the CD you mention - not sure I've got it though - PC came with it installed. I might have a Windows 98 CD, plus an "upgrade" to XP CD)

Hi.

Hmm strange that as DDS says your particular Operating System is:-

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

OK could well be a log error(due to updates/you changed the operating system) anyway let your machine boot up into:-

Windows XP Media Centre Edition

With regard to no XP CD-ROM and the fact your machine appears to a be a HP modal it probably has a recovery partition on the main system drive.

Out of interest is this drive a extra drive installed or a external drive?

E: is FIXED (NTFS) - 466 GiB total, 103.398 GiB free.

----------

Let myself know the outcome/answer(s) to my questions, thank you.

Sorry - should have explained - the Windows 98 and XP ugrade were for another PC.

Have chosen XP Media Centre but back to earlier problem - black screen, hard disk light constantly on.

The E Drive is an external additional drive, connected via USB

UPDATE - I found 3 Product Revocery CD that came with the PC. Install Disk, Program Disk 1 and Program Disk 2 (all 3 for Windows XP Media Center - made by Watford Electronics)