Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Browsers deny access or send to wrong sites

Hi
    When I boot up it just seems to ignore the CD (even though its set to look there first) and goes to the option screen of XP Media Centre Edition or Safe Mode (or F8) - in other words, having the CD Rom in (with the burnt Avira Antivir exe file on it) doesn't make any difference.

(Probably not relevant, but I seem to recall using DeFogger to disable CD emulation programs)

UPDATE:

I tried again - this time pressing Enter when "Boot from CD?" came up and this time it missed out the screen with option to choose XP or Safe Mode and went straight to the black screen (which is what I get when I boot up without the CD and go to XP)

Security Expert-Emeritus Dakeyras's Avatar

Hi.

(Probably not relevant, but I seem to recall using DeFogger to disable CD emulation programs)
    I do not think this would be a issuie actually and checked it out on my test machine and was still able to boot from the CD-Drive.

Now if you have set the machine to boot up via the BIOS with the CD-Drive as the first boot option and still no joy as you mentioned it could be a faulty piece of hardware and or still malware the cause.

Not a lot I can advise I'm afraid. If you feel confidant enough you can remove the Hard-Drive from you infected machine and temporarily install it in the other machine you have access to as a slave drive. Then scan the whole drive with a Anti-Virus and have it fix/remove anything found. Then replace back in your original machine and it should be able to boot-up so we can continue the malware removal process.

How to Install a Second Hard Drive

Or check to see if your machine has the HP Recovery (partition) Manager and use that but bare in mind it is defacto a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows operating system.

Finally the only other option I'm afraid would be to take it to a reputable local IT repair centre as only so much I am able to advise/do without physical access to the machine.
    Last edited by Dakeyras; 2010-06-05 at 12:50.
    Mammuthus Hibernian Scouserus, member of ASAP and UNITE.

OK, thanks.
    I have a full back up on the external hard drive so maybe the option to use HP Recovery (partition) Manager might be a good one (but how would I know if I had that on my PC? and how would I access it if I can't boot up?)

I may well explore the hard drive removal and checking it on another PC - but would there be a chance that the infection would spread to the other PC?!

I have AV and SpyBot on other PC so I assume that running those should get the hard drive back into a condition which would allow me to put the hard drive back in the infected machine and continue with this thread - but I suppose there's a chance that we would end up with the same problem as we have now?

Is there any point in me trying to boot via a LINUX system rescue CD which I made a couple years ago?

Thanks for your help

UPDATE:

Should I try the bootable CD I made on my other PC, to make sure it works?

Hi.

Thanks for your help
    You're most welcome!

I have a full back up on the external hard drive so maybe the option to use HP Recovery (partition) Manager might be a good one (but how would I know if I had that on my PC? and how would I access it if I can't boot up?)
    To do so is explained in the URL I provided:-

http://h30187.www3.hp.com/tutorials/...tore_files.htm

I may well explore the hard drive removal and checking it on another PC - but would there be a chance that the infection would spread to the other PC?!
    The chance of such is negligible being honest as the hard-drive will be in slave mode and any malware should not in theory become active and or cross-over. Though as a precaution if you do attempt this process afterwards update and scan the other machine with its on-board security related applications etc.

I have actually done the above a fair few times myself and never noticed the host system if you will becoming infected in turn but as a precaution I did scan afterwards like I mentioned prior.

Is there any point in me trying to boot via a LINUX system rescue CD which I made a couple years ago?
    No harm trying but unfortunately I have no experience/knowledge of anything Linux related, I'm purely a Windows person so to speak.

Should I try the bootable CD I made on my other PC, to make sure it works?
    Aye by all means if you so wish.

Interesting........I tried the Linux Rescue Disk and it found it and started. Like you, I don't know much about Linux so I'm not going to use it. If I do....should I start a new post or can you refer me to another person here who could take me through Linux?

However.....I tried the Avri Boot CD on my other PC - and it said no boot device on it! So...maybe it didn't burn properly (although windows explorer does show that there is an .exe file [the only file] on it). Maybe it didn't burn properly? Would I need to burn it using ISO (or something?)

Might still be hope?

UPDATE: Might have realised what I've done wrong. I downloaded the rescue package and burnt the package onto the CD - as the original .exe file. I think I needed to run the .exe file THEN burn the resulting file(s) onto the CD. Sorry if that was what I should have done and that it should have been "bleedin obvious", but I'm bit new to it all. I will try that approach and get back to you if it boots with the information you originally requested for that stage

OK, by all means let myself know the outcome.

I just can't seem to get the Avira burnt properly. (Been trying since my last post) I went to the website, downloaded the Rescue file, then ran it and it then said I should put a CD into drive so I can burn it but it keeps saying "No CD inserted or not compatible burning device" - which is wrong as I put a CD-R in which was blank.

I know its something about burning as an ISO file or something but I'm now totally lost. I have Roxio CD creator. I just can't work out how to make the Rescue CD. It's possible you are assuming I know more than I actually do on this burning issue. I've burned music before, but never anything like this.

The frustrating thing is that, if I can burn it properly, I think it will boot and we can move on.

Thanks