Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a No Disk Error

Default Getting a No Disk Error

Afternoon Everyone,

I use Spybot S & D on a bunch of my systems and overall don't have to much trouble. On 2 of my machines I been getting an error of spybotsd.exe - No Disk error. Now for the moment I have been just uninstalling an re-installing the agent. The agent will work for a few days and then give this error, and I know the hard disk is healthy. Does anyone know what this error means? also are there any fixes I can make or I need to apply.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
    Tim

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Do those systems have a device with removable media configured as drive letter C? If so either:
    1. Insert the media in the device.
      --- or ---
    2. Change the drive letter assignment for the device to a letter other than C.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Is there a way I can opt not to scan a specific directory. For example I know drive G: is a removable disk and drive M: is a network drive can I change a certain setting so Spybot S&D won't prompt me this error?

Hello,

This is a problem which can occur in Windows. Please have a look at this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330137

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

If this error is not reporting it for the C: drive what steps can I do to make sure it does not occur again. I only want spybot to check the local C: drive but am getting an error of no disk b/c it is looking at a no local disk drive?

More Information:

the scan seems to want to include both the C: & D; drives in any scannings. Are there any options/settings I need to make so only the local C drive is scanned? The D: drive is the CD-Rom drive and I'd rather just select for it not to be scanned then to have it be included and see the annonying error that occurs.

Spybot does not drives per se, so there are no settings to either limit the scan to a specific drive or to scan a specific drive. For a brief description of how Spybot scans see:

If the problem is not because of a removal media device on drive C:\ then the most likely cause is that there is something in the two systems you are having a problem with that is pointing to a device with removable media (see Note #1). The problem is to determine what is unique about those two systems that is causing the problem. It could be something like a startup entry pointing to a removal media device or any number of other things.

Note #1: A while ago there was a problem with a particular detection rule that pointed to the D:\ drive and caused a similar error message. But in that case the problem was reported by several people and was resolved.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Not to make this an Issue but......

At the link you gave me MD it says the following:

There are different ways to search for spies. One would be to search the complete registry and hard disk for suspicious entries and files. That can take a lot of time.

Spybot-S&D takes advantage of the fact that all spies have to anchor themselves at a few places over the system to get active. It starts to search at this places, following the information gathered there to catch the whole spy.
    I understand the fact that scanning an entire hard disk for suspicious entries/files would take to long. What I don't understand is when it says it anchors it self at a few places over the system.

What places are these? Are these registry areas? or certain paths?

Trying to understand how the spybot works is important to me. If there is additional documentation and or info you can inform of I would appreciate it. This would help a great deal as to what I can do to try to minimize my search as to what is happening and why this is occuring on just the few machines I have it happening on.

Thank you,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TDHoma View Post
    What I don't understand is when it says it anchors it self at a few places over the system.

What places are these? Are these registry areas? or certain paths?
    I really don't know the all places that Spybot searches for the "anchors".

Quote Originally Posted by TDHoma View Post
    ... I know drive G: is a removable disk and drive M: is a network drive...
    Are these drives up and operating when the scan is run?

I have to admit: those anchors include looking for Windows installations on other drives (as you may know, Spybot-S&D is capable of cleaning files and even the registry on those as well). So Spybot-S&D actually looks for all available drives and if there's something there. But it should be intelligent enough to only check drives that really are available. I remember a small bug in distinguishing between available drives, removable drives and network drives though (imho the MSDN had a wrong description for what exactly one of the corresponding API functions would return), I'll have to look up when it was fixed.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)