Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spybot keeps hanging!

Bitman,

There was no "Detection" option to check on the scroll down. There are, however several coolwwsearch options. So I moved on to your next suggestion. I turned off the entire Hijackers.sbi option and did a scan. This time it hung at 5779/33332: Key spy.

What do you suggest?

thanks
    James Schmidt

Esteemed Member

What you needed to find was the detection that causes the hang, which you described only as CoolWWWSearch, but you'll notice there are dozens of these. Only the very first one is named 'CoolWWWSearch' only, so that may be the one involved.

Now that you've determined that other detections later in the scan can cause it though (KeySpy is a Keylogger), things are different than I recall. So let's try to determine how specific the problem is.

First, disable (uncheck) all of the items in the File Sets other than the Hijackers.sbi selection. This way, if it stops on CoolWWWSearch with a different number (these count from 0 only for the detections actually scanned) we know the detection itself is the problem. Make sure you get the exact name of the detection along with any number. Also let us know exactly which set of detections (In Spybot, Help > About) and Spybot version (1.?) you are using, and if you use the Beta Detections.

You could also try this with just the Keyloggers.sbi to determine the same thing about the KeySpy detection. Note there is no space in the name, so you need to be very accurate when you list these specifics. If you wish, you could also disable (check) only the specific detections like KeySpy and see if any other hangs occur in Keyloggers.

What this should do overall is help the Spybot Team determine what is really causing the hang, specific detections or something about timing within the scan process. Then maybe we'll know if it's something about your PC or something in Spybot itself. Most likely it's a combination which is why it hasn't yet been found.

Team Spybot is based in Germany, so we may not hear from them until next week, but anything that you learn and post will be waiting for them early Monday when they return. I'm sure spybotsandra will point this thread out to them since she's also there in Germany. As a member of Spybot Advisors I am based in the US and as a volunteer I have no set schedule.

Bitman

Bitman,
    Thanks for your interest. Here are the results I got when I tried your suggestions.

1. I disabled all File Sets other than Hijackers.sbi and it hung at 1574/8649 coolwwsearch.

2. The version I am running is 1.4 and is not beta.

3. I disabled all file sets other than Keyloggers.sbi and it hung at 525/1170 Keyspy.

4. I then repeated step 3 and also disabled Keyspy in Keyloggers and it hung at
    661/1170 Probat.

I await further suggestions,
    James Schmidt

Esteemed Member

James,

That's very good information, but I don't have any further ideas at the moment myself. Since you don't appear to have a HyperThreading system this would appear to be a problem with these detections as they relate to your system.

You might want to make sure your PC isn't HyperThreading capable, but simply has it disabled as this might also create such problems. The fact that you didn't find the 'Set Affinity' option says that the operating system itself isn't performing using HyperThreading, but maybe the processor is capable of it and either disabled or operating in an unstable manner.

Your processor speed indicates it is new enough to support HyperThreading, but that doesn't mean it does. As the link below discusses on its Requirements for Hyper-Threading Technology page, it must also have a chipset and system BIOS that support HTT as well as a supported OS, which current versions of Windows XP Home do.

Hyper-Threading Technology Test Utility

Since your symptoms don't currently match the 'normal' HTT issue of random hangs in different places during the scan, they appear different, but might still be related since they do move if you force them.

My gut feeling though, is that there is something in common within those specific detections that is triggering the hang and Team Spybot may be able to determine what it is and point towards a possible cause. If they need more information I'm sure they'll request it.

Thanks for performing the tests so far. I hope it will help both you and others resolve this particular hang issue in the long run.

Bitman

Bitman,
    Have you had any word yet from Team Spybot on the hanging problem in this thread? Sure hope that it can be fixed so that I can use it.
    thanks,
    James Schmidt

Security Expert-Emeritus

I see you posted in the waiting thread in our maleware section
    Please go here and follow instructions.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Basicly start a thread in the maleware section, post a hijackthis log and an online scan report.
    There not here please
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Microsoft MVP Windows-Security 2006

Thumbs down coolwwwsearch

I have experienced all the problems previously talked about in this thread. I have tried all the solutions given and nothing. I am at my wits end as to what to do with Spybot S&D. I think I'll just uninstall it as all it seems to do is take up space and provide no help to me at all. Maybe some day someone will get their act together and make a reasonable program for me and others to use untill bye-bye.