Thread: Big problems after using Spybot

Default Big problems after using Spybot

Hi.

I never had a problem before i started using Spybot search & destroy. Now i can't use my eRecovery where i have my backup for my computer. I use Windows XP. I have Kaspersky Internet security 6.0, Ad-Aware SE plus and Spybot.
    I am a newbie and i don't understand 1 thing about files and spybot finds alot of files that are green, but i don't like to have anything that can be dangerous on my computer so i delete the files Spybot finds. I have Uninstalled spybot about 3 times and now i'm pissed off, cause my computer doesn't work the same way as before (Me eRecovery doesn't work) I wish i never had installed Spybot.

you un-installed three consecutive times i dont believe thats possible without first un-installing, re-installing, un-installing, re-installing, and finally un-installing

first before anyone will be able to help you. they will prolly want you to post a hijackthis report. second they might ask you why you decided you needed to keep uninstalling and reinstalling or what led you to do so. third i would guess you may have either uninstalled or installed it incorrectly one of those times. the fact that you cant use a regedit tool might be because of a fault in that regedit tool. i could prolly continue to count off fifteen other variables you have not eliminated whether legitimate or not but point being this software is great and you will get the support and respect you need when you give it first.

flaming the software because of user error is ridiculous....my father tells me all the time "you need to be at least 10% smarter than what you are working with."

1. I posted i was a newbie
    2. I uninstalled/installed all about 3 times
    3. I have my own opinion about software, so don't tell me what opinion i should have.
    A quote from my post:
    I am a newbie and i don't understand 1 thing about files and spybot finds alot of files that are green, but i don't like to have anything that can be dangerous on my computer so i delete the files Spybot finds.
    I'm sorry if i havn't posted clear enough, but this says that i don't know anything about computers. And if you are a newbie you don't like that your computer doesn't work as before you used a software, it makes you pretty angry. Try to imagin how you would feel if your computer gave you problems you don't know anything about. I have downloaded it correctly, but i must have deleted some files that should not be deleted. I had to re-install everything.

Default i apologize

Advice removed.

stacked_deck, as I informed you in a PM: "BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps

Please refrain from offering malware removal advice.

Thank you.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-01-19 at 17:28. Reason: edit

Hello martyr.

Sorry to hear of the problems you have experienced, if you still have Spybot-S&D installed we could see a log, let us know please.

Best wishes.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Red face To Martyr

Quote Originally Posted by stacked_deck View Post
    Advice removed.

stacked_deck, as I informed you in a PM: "BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps

Please refrain from offering malware removal advice.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by martyr View Post
    1. I posted i was a newbie
    2. I uninstalled/installed all about 3 times
    3. I have my own opinion about software, so don't tell me what opinion i should have.
    A quote from my post:
    I am a newbie and i don't understand 1 thing about files and spybot finds alot of files that are green, but i don't like to have anything that can be dangerous on my computer so i delete the files Spybot finds.
    I'm sorry if i havn't posted clear enough, but this says that i don't know anything about computers. And if you are a newbie you don't like that your computer doesn't work as before you used a software, it makes you pretty angry. Try to imagin how you would feel if your computer gave you problems you don't know anything about. I have downloaded it correctly, but i must have deleted some files that should not be deleted. I had to re-install everything.
    Hello Martyr,
    I sympathise, as a newbie myself I have had similar problems and I have had to re- install my comp from scratch at least six times! Mainly though my own ignorance tho, and playing around with stuff I didn’t fully understand. There is so much to learn and finding help is not easy either as there are pages and pages that one has to troll through.

If I understand correctly when you try to do a recovery you have problems (i.e.) It, the comp’ won’t restore to an earlier point, when everything was all ok.

If this is correct, (as I am unsure about the term ‘e-recovery’) I found on Spy-bots help page, that a “system restore/recovery” to an earlier point will not work because windows activates so fast it doesn’t allow time for the changes you want made, to make to take effect. (This relates to the tea timer)

However you can restore your machine to an earlier time, setting, as described in S’Bot’s help pages by starting the recovery in safe mode. That is to say learn how to start the machine in this mode, then select a restore point from there and your settings, configurations will then restore to the point you specify.

I have asked my tech, many times, where I bought this new machine, and he was not able to tell me why I could not do a restore! Or go back to the last known good configuration, and this is why I’ve had to start from scratch so many times.

I’m not sure if this rings any bells with you, or addresses your question but it is worth looking into at any rate, because everyone has to, from time to time, do a restore or a clean re-install. You should also look into getting every thing setup exactly the way you want it and then do a complete back up of the system, my friend, it will save you much heart-ache in the long run!

Cheers Ben: bluezeroau
    PS. The team at Spy-Bot are really dedicated folk and the product is, when you get the hang of it, superior in many, many ways. It’s just that takes a bit of time and patience, because there is so much to learn.