Thread: S S&D blocking Google Updater?

Question S S&D blocking Google Updater?

Hi all,

I have Google desktop installed and set to let me do manual updates rather than automatic. I just tried to update to the latest version of 5/17/07 and it failed with this message from Google help:

Why am I getting a message that the “Google Updater Service is not running”?

If you're experiencing this error, your security software may be disabling a component of the Google Updater. If so, you'll need to configure the security software's rules to allow the specific Google Updater processes listed below:

Assuming Google Updater is installed in your C: drive, please allow these processes:

C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

Due to the variety of firewall and security applications, we encourage you to contact your firewall/security vendor directly for updated instructions to allow networked based programs on your computer.
    When I look at S S&D tool for Process list, it shows me that GoogleUpdater.exe is running. Also that apparently there is a beta version of this same file running as well as another beta called GoogleUpdateManager.exe running.

I do not see GoogleUpdaterService.exe running though. On searching the program files in the Google folder, this file does appear in the folder so theoritcally it should be able to execute.

So apparently something is preventing it from running or the Google Updater would have been able to do it's thing.

I'm thinking S S&D is stopping it? Or TeaTimer? I don't see it on the blocked lists in TeaTimer. I also see two Google programs to run on startup.

Then I am also thinking maybe this new Windows Defender that came as a recent upgrade via MS? Or just the XP-Media version firewall which is set to ON? Or Norton Internet Security's Firewall?

What should I do next to try to get my computer to allow Google Updater to do it's update? I'm stumped.....

Thanks for any advice

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I don't believe that Spybot-S&D and/or TeaTimer are the cause of your problem with the "GoogleUpdaterService.exe" not running. But just to make sure, you can eliminate the active and passive protections of Spybot-S&D and TeaTimer as follows:
    • Go into Spybot > Immunize
      • Click "Undo" button (at the top)
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
      • Under "Resident protection status", uncheck (if checked) the following:
        • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.
      • Uncheck (if checked) any of the following "Miscellaneous locks":
        • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
        • Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
        • Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file
      • Click the "Remove Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top)
    • Exit Spybot-S&D
    • Exit Windows Internet Explorer
    • Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer (Spybot-SD Resident) icon in the System Notification area of the Taskbar (a.k.a. System Tray). If the icon is there:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer (Spybot-SD Resident) System Tray icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi MD,

Thank you so much for your reply. I wish I had tried this one more thing before bothering you here - I was able to resolve this by turning off Norton's Firewall which allowed the Google Updater to run.

I promise to try more options before posting next time. But I will keep your post as it lays out the aspects of S S&D and TeaTimer that could potentially interfere with a download/update. So all was not in vain. Hopefully someone else reading will also have benefit of this info too.

It's so weird about the Firewall situation. I have XP which recently added in the new Windows Defender (which I thought had a firewall but it doesn't -looks like an MS version of S S&D actually). Along with XP is that Security Center in Control Panel which does have a Windows Firewall option. It's summary showed that the Windows Firewall was on (green light) but when you expanded it, the firewall was actually turned off. Same with the Windows Firewall option also in Control Panel. It wasn't until I went to Norton Internet Security that I found a firewall that was in fact actually turned on. Disabling it did the trick!

Thanks again so much. Your help is appreciated.