Thread: Spybot-SD Resident (TeaTimer) Automatic Updates

Question Spybot-SD Resident (TeaTimer) Automatic Updates

Is it possible to set TeaTimer to automatically download updates? This way, the malware protection will always be up to date without user intervention.

My first post in the forums, btw.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

If there are any updates to TeaTimer, they are released with the updates to Spybot itself (currently weekly and normally on Wednesday).

To schedule Spybot to run, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Scheduler > if the Edit button is grayed out click Add > click the Edit button. You should now be in the Spybot- Search and Destroy – Scheduled Task dialog. In the Task tab look at the "Run:" line of the dialog. You can add/change the "command line parameters" the end of the "Run:" line.

By adding the following, Spybot should start, update and close:
    • "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autoupdate /autoclose /taskbarhide

Spybot uses the OS scheduler. In Windows XP the user account that adds the Schedule Tasks entry must have a password. See:

There is workaround for the password requirement in Windows XP that 100mill was considerate enough to share with us. See the following thread:

For additional information on scheduling parameters that can be used, see the following:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Actually, since 1.5, you can also just schedule SDUpdate.exe instead of SpybotSD.exe. SDUpdate.exe uses less system resources due to being responsible for just this one thing
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

PepiMK:

Thanks for the memory jogger, I had forgotten.

Freakish:

In other words, if you are running Spybot 1.5, you could update by scheduling with the following "Run:" line:
    • "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe" /autoupdate /autoclose

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Actually, since 1.5, you can also just schedule SDUpdate.exe instead of SpybotSD.exe. SDUpdate.exe uses less system resources due to being responsible for just this one thing
    How should I set Spybot to autoupdate and then autoclose itself as fast as possible?

Should this appear in the run box of scheduled tasks:
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /minimized /autoupdate /autoclose

or this one?
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe" "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate" /minimized /autoupdate /autoclose

What I want to do is to run the update weekly, Spybot will automatically download the updates, and automatically close itself while minimized (to alert me that there is an update going on.)
    My setup: Real-time: AntiVir,ThreatFire,Comodo BOClean,Tea Timer | On-demand: ClamWin,SuperAntiSpyware,Spybot | Web : Opera (fraud protection enabled),OpenDNS | Other: Windows Scripting Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Freakish View Post
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate.exe"
    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDUpdate" /minimized /autoupdate /autoclose

What I want to do is to run the update weekly, Spybot will automatically download the updates, and automatically close itself while minimized (to alert me that there is an update going on.)
    Does that work? Does SDUpdate.exe accept command line switches? (I can't test it right now because I'm up-to-date)

Quote Originally Posted by BillGio View Post
    Does that work? Does SDUpdate.exe accept command line switches? (I can't test it right now because I'm up-to-date)
    Well, I tested it - looks like it does work!