Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer using 100,000+ Kb

Default TeaTimer using 100,000+ Kb

Currently TeaTimer.exe is down to 94,400 K. It was at 122,000 before. It tends to be one of the highest memory usage processes running. There are only 8 other processes running.

I saw something in another post about long lists making it require more RAM. I'm not sure what lists these are, but I just checked the "Black & White List" and the four lists there are all empty.

System info: Dell Dimenstion 8250 (6 years old, but still running)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
    512 MB of RAM
    XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP3
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2.46

I recently reinstalled Spybot. It had been compromised somehow. It was using up all this memory, as it still is, and the exe file was not in the Spybot - Search & Destroy directory, so I downloaded the latest version and reinstalled it.

I'm still getting the extreme memory usage.

Can anybody tell me how to make it take less memory? I want to use it as I believe it performs a valuable service.

I thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Hello,

When the computer is running for a long time without a standby, reboot, or shutdown memory consumption of a (refers to any) can slightly increase.

It's taking that much because TeaTimer is a Resident Shield that actively protects you from malware. I would suggest you reboot and see how it goes. Usually TeaTimer will take up 35-50MB of RAM. Seeing that modern PCs built today have more RAM and resources, 80MB should be nothing.

If this does not help you can disable TeaTimer as follows:
    - Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
    - Uncheck the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Spybotnorma View Post
    Hello,

When the computer is running for a long time without a standby, reboot, or shutdown memory consumption of a (refers to any) can slightly increase.

It's taking that much because TeaTimer is a Resident Shield that actively protects you from malware. I would suggest you reboot and see how it goes. Usually TeaTimer will take up 35-50MB of RAM. Seeing that modern PCs built today have more RAM and resources, 80MB should be nothing.

If this does not help you can disable TeaTimer as follows:
    - Go into Spybot - Mode - Advanced Mode - Tools - Resident.
    - Uncheck the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.
    Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know that. However, the behavior I was describing is at startup, not after a long period of idleness.

Is there any way to get access to older versions of Teatimer that don't hog resources (memory and processor) like the current version? The older versions (1.3 I think), only appeared to monitor changes to the registry and that (to me) is the best feature of Teatimer.

I answered my own question. You can get old versions of spybot at oldversion.com. Using Teatimer from SB 1.3, it uses a whopping 2 MB of memory, monitors the registry and lets Windows 7 monitor the rest.

Default Gradual High Memory Useage

I have noticed that TeaTimer gradually uses more & more memory until a reboot. After reboot it uses 131MB RAM. I left my PC on for a week & at the end of the week TeaTimer was using just over 1GB of RAM. This appears to indicate a memory leak to me. Anyone else notice the same? I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 64 w/4GB RAM & Dual 3Ghz Intel.

For those of you who plan to run resource intensive applications such as Adobe Photoshop, for example, or an anti-virus scan my best advice for you for now is to temporarily disable TeaTimer and then reactivate it after the scan if your resources are limited. I do not know if it is a memory leak. I have encountered this issue before when the 1.6.x build was first released, there was a registry tweak to lower the memory usage but I do not know if it would work.

I would advise against downgrading your TeaTimer. I would much rather have the protection it offers and take the extra step to disable it when it is required rather than strip it of it's protection values for more memory.

Do not worry because the 2.0 build (major upgrade) of Spybot-Search&Destroy will resolve the memory issue.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    I would advise against downgrading your TeaTimer. I would much rather have the protection it offers and take the extra step to disable it when it is required rather than strip it of it's protection values for more memory.

Do not worry because the 2.0 build (major upgrade) of Spybot-Search&Destroy will resolve the memory issue.
    For me, TeaTimer's best feature is that it monitors any/all changes to the registry. All its other features are taken care of by the McAfee suite that I am mandated to use by my job. So other than the registry monitor, there are too many duplicate features to justify the processor and memory hog.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    I have encountered this issue before when the 1.6.x build was first released, there was a registry tweak to lower the memory usage but I do not know if it would work.

Don't worry? (laugh) When will 2.0 resolve this...and I would be interested in the regedit for sure..

As for versions? Current...etc...and the past 2-3 upgrades were back in 70me area...sure would love to see the old 30 meg usage...

Last nights download...brought it back way too HIGH for mem usage.

Thx !!

HI IamJim,

Quote Originally Posted by IamJim View Post
    As for versions? Current...etc...and the past 2-3 upgrades were back in 70me area...sure would love to see the old 30 meg usage...

Last nights download...brought it back way too HIGH for mem usage.
    If your computer hasn't enough RAM to use TeaTimer, you should disable it.

If you have enough RAM, please stop crying about 70, 100 or perhaps 150 MB.That should be nothing for a new computer with 2, 4 or 8 GB of RAM.

I don't understand your problem...

When will 2.0 resolve this...
    Sorry, but I don't know when Team Spybot will release the first public beta version of Spybot 2.0
    Best regards - Beste Grüße,

Matt