Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: virus stops virus scan at windows folder

Default plaid

I finally got to the screen allowing me to change the boot to Cd and saved it so the CD loaded. BUT, after I could see the CD loading and windows starting the last screen was green vertical lines. This screen would flash off, then come back. I could see the light on my CD drive was still on. The last thing (I tried this several times) I have seen on my screen is what I call "plaid" because the screen now has horizontal lines - like it's trying to draw, but that's as far as it can go. I can see movement when I move my mouse and even saw the internet lights flashing so something is happening, I just can't see anything on my screen that I can work with.

Emeritus- Malware Team

Boy I'm not sure what's going on there with this PC??? This may be something you'll need to bring to a shop to have them take a look at.

We could try another boot disk. I have a canned process from another expert (screen317) using a linux boot disk. It's pretty simple to create and use.

You will need a blank CD or flash drive, as well as software to burn .iso images, such as FreeISOBurner or BurnCDCC.

Download PuppyLinux from here and save it to your Desktop.

Open FreeISOBurner. Configure it as follows:

1) Click Open and navigate to puppy-4.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso on your Desktop.
    2) Change the Drive to reflect the drive letter of your CD or USB drive.
    3) Change the Burn Speed to as slow as possible (4x or lower preferred).
    4) Click Burn

When it finishes, eject the CD and put it in the computer that will not boot.

If not already done so, configure that computer to boot from CD or USB first. To do so, restart your computer. Carefully read what appears on the screen to see which key need to be pressed to enter Setup.

From there, navigate using the keyboard to the Boot section, then use the Page Up and Page Down keys to move the CDROM or USB option first. Afterward, press F10 to save and exit setup. When the computer restarts, it will boot from your CD or USB drive instead of the damaged hard drive, and you will be presented with PuppyLinux.

It will say Linux will boot automatically in 8 seconds. Let it. It will proceed to "boot the kernel." You will be presented with a number of options. Select the default option for everything and you will see an interface with several icons on it.

Click (only once) on mount and the Pmount Puppy Drive Mounter menu will open. Click MOUNT next to the hard drive that contains your Windows installation. Also mount any removable media you have inserted to transfer your data to.

A window will open titled /mnt/sda1 (or something similar).

You will now have access to all of your files in a familiar folder format. Let me know how you make out.
    IndiGenus

Default mount other hard drive?

I assume I have to mount my other internal hard drive also so I can move files from it to my external drive?

Emeritus- Malware Team

Yes, you do.

Also mount any removable media you have inserted to transfer your data to.
    IndiGenus

Default I should be happy, but...

I got all my files off onto the new external drive, but It's not because the CD's I burned worked. When I was trying to use the second one, puppylinux, the CD drive didn't seem to work. So I stuck in the PE Cd because at least it made the CD drive spin. Then when it started spinning, I ejected it and put the puppy CD in and that actually helped it load. But all the default settings got me to a point where it said I had to type some stuff to re-run the video wizard. Same problem, nothing legible on the screen for me to click on. (Side note: after taking apart some of the inards awhile back - too confusing to explain right now, but wasn't sure everything got put back together right and in safe mode the white parts of the desktop are always green - so I wasn't surprised there was something goofy with the graphics or whatever.) So somewhere in there as I was trading CD's back and forth a different screen came up and told me I wasn't finished loading windows, etc. I turned off the computer and turned it back on and wasn't paying attention and it starting loading the normal way. Not sure how because remember it was set to boot from the CD drive. (Maybe because the CD drive was acting so sluggish it by-passed it???) But anyway, it recognized my external drive and I starting pulling things over there and now I have all but the stuff on C like programs all on the external. I cleaned off C actually, didn't just copy. I was WAY full. So I ran a thorough scan with avast just on the WIndows folder cuz I thought there was a worm because that on-line scanner thing supposedly found one there and nothing. So what do I do now?

Default It

"It" was full, not me.

Emeritus- Malware Team

Quote Originally Posted by JarJar View Post
    I got all my files off onto the new external drive, but It's not because the CD's I burned worked. When I was trying to use the second one, puppylinux, the CD drive didn't seem to work. So I stuck in the PE Cd because at least it made the CD drive spin. Then when it started spinning, I ejected it and put the puppy CD in and that actually helped it load. But all the default settings got me to a point where it said I had to type some stuff to re-run the video wizard. Same problem, nothing legible on the screen for me to click on. (Side note: after taking apart some of the inards awhile back - too confusing to explain right now, but wasn't sure everything got put back together right and in safe mode the white parts of the desktop are always green - so I wasn't surprised there was something goofy with the graphics or whatever.) So somewhere in there as I was trading CD's back and forth a different screen came up and told me I wasn't finished loading windows, etc. I turned off the computer and turned it back on and wasn't paying attention and it starting loading the normal way. Not sure how because remember it was set to boot from the CD drive. (Maybe because the CD drive was acting so sluggish it by-passed it???) But anyway, it recognized my external drive and I starting pulling things over there and now I have all but the stuff on C like programs all on the external. I cleaned off C actually, didn't just copy. I was WAY full. So I ran a thorough scan with avast just on the WIndows folder cuz I thought there was a worm because that on-line scanner thing supposedly found one there and nothing. So what do I do now?
    Clear as mud....
    IndiGenus

Emeritus- Malware Team

Quote Originally Posted by JarJar View Post
    "It" was full, not me.
    I understand.

You probably didn't want to copy over programs and such, because you would likely need to re-install them anyway if you start fresh. Basically you just want your data. Like docs, music, pictures, email, etc...

Does the computer still not boot normally, or in Safe Mode?
    IndiGenus

Default ha ha!

Okay, a little wordy, sorry. Sort of happy, sort of annoyed. :0

As far as booting normally, haven't turned it off, it's been on for 6 hours acting "normal". We are trying to export a video project before the inevitable crash happens. (cannot find a good DVD, bleh) Then I suppose I will try to restart it or I may just leave it on forever...

Emeritus- Malware Team

Okay since it's running have you tried any of the online scans? The last one I gave was for Trend Micro. I posted it here.

Try that and see what we get.
    IndiGenus