Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does Spybot Blcok the Spyhunter website?

no way in hell I'm going to donate money to spybot so they can continue to pass moral judgment on software I HAVE PAID FOR.
    "paid for" doesnt always mean better. i have paid for programs too but will never do it again because it made my computer go crazy after i used an "paid for" antivirus, i will never use that antivirus again.

did you try it before you buyed it? was it really so good that you used money on it? i didnt try the one i buyed but that was my fault.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-09-13 at 23:54.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    "paid for" doesnt always mean better. i have paid for programs too but will never do it again because it made my computer go crazy after i used an "paid for" antivirus, i will never use that antivirus again.

did you try it before you buyed it? was it really so good that you used money on it?
    I never said PAID for meant better, it does not always mean better but the fact that Spybot broke a program I paid for has now pissed me off. Yes I tried it before I bought it and it is a decent piece of software that has never BROKE any other piece of software on my pc.

Ok am I talking to a brick wall? Am I completely crazy or does anyone else here see that spybot is doing something wrong?

Spyhunter could be a badly coded lazy piece of software, BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT MALWARE!!!

Enigma software may have aggressive marketing and their CEO may be a complete fruitcake, THAT DOESN'T MAKE THERE WEBSITE MALICIOUS!!!

Can anyone can give me a REAL example of why Spyhunter should be classified as malware and WHY the Enigma Software site should be blocked?

Why is Spybot making judgment calls about it's competition on my pc?

Doesn't anyone else see this as a very BAD case of a conflict of interest? What if spybot released an AV scanner and then detected Nortan as a virus itself?

so can anyone answer this?

If Spyhunter is not malware why does Spybot detect it as malware?

If Enigma Software is not a threat to my pc why does spybot block it?
    Last edited by swanlee; 2008-09-14 at 00:03.

it seems that the enigmas pcthreat sites are removed from hphosts hostsfile and that enigma are cleaning up. it was me that reported the pcthreat sites to hphosts but i dont like that they are removed as some of their sites is misleading but i dont think spyhunter is malware. you should just wait for someone from the team to respond to you about this.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-09-14 at 00:25.

You guys really need to chill on this type of practice it does not make me think very highly of Spybot if it is making opinionated judgment calls on what it thinks is bad marekting.

I found a post on here from a mod about it as well,

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...2&postcount=11

"Hello,

Yes, and we detect SpyHunter also.
    So you have decide which program you like to use.
    The free Spybot Search & Destroy or the SpyHunter you need to pay for.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot"

You have got to be kidding me? What kind of freaking attitude is this? Anyone should know that there is not a SINGLE piece of AV/malware software that will catch everything, thus it is wise to layer Malware\AV software to catch as much as possible.

This type of attitude as seen above I would call un professional. If spyhunter is NOT malware spybot should not detect it as such.

I find it ironic Spybot blocks spyhunter because of questionable marketing tactics but yet spybot detects spyhunter as MALWARE where it is not?

How can I trust spybot when it falsely labels software as malware? And how can people that work on spybot recommend using only 1 piece of software to keep there pc safe with a straight face?
    Last edited by swanlee; 2008-09-14 at 00:54.

Lightbulb huh?

Quote Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
    not a SINGLE piece of AV/malware software that will catch everything, thus it is wise to layer Malware\AV software....
    AV as in antivirus? You are only supposed to have one antivirus, but you can have multiple spyware programs. As for this program Spyhunter being detected as malware, I think that is a fair call. You yourself said they have weird practices, honestly why would you pay for software that is known or was known to be shaky? Also, I would not advise purchasing/installing any software that was once well known and considered rogue anti-malware. If its labeled once, no CEO or anything will change that unless the software was rewrote from the ground up. Which it was not.

I also do not understand why you are complaining here either, as if you do not like spybot's result, and do not consider it dangerous, right click and ignore the threat. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. No one had a gun to your head and said remove it. If that was the case, what would be the point in antispyware programs if you could not choose what to remove? You can choose to ignore or remove it. Its up to you. You are the user, and it's up to you.

I think this topic should be removed or moved to the tavern as this is not a place for discussion/arguing.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-09-14 at 04:37.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    AV as in antivirus? You are only supposed to have one antivirus, but you can have multiple spyware programs. As for this program Spyhunter being detected as malware, I think that is a fair call. You yourself said they have weird practices, honestly why would you pay for software that is known or was known to be shaky? Also, I would not advise purchasing/installing any software that was once well known and considered rogue anti-malware. If its labeled once, no CEO or anything will change that unless the software was rewrote from the ground up. Which it was not.

I also do not understand why you are complaining here either, as if you do not like spybot's result, and do not consider it dangerous, right click and ignore the threat. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. No one had a gun to your head and said remove it. If that was the case, what would be the point in antispyware programs if you could not choose what to remove? You can choose to ignore or remove it. Its up to you. You are the user, and it's up to you.

I think this topic should be removed or moved to the tavern as this is not a place for discussion/arguing.

I think you fail to understand, Spybot added Enigma's websites to my hosts files as localhost when I immunized, this broke spyhunters ability to update it's software and my ability to access Enigma's website to trouble shoot the problems. When you immunize it does not warn you or give you the option to not immunize specific websites that it has in it's list.

I did and have been unchecking the box that detected spyhunter as malware but when it immunized spyhunter from my computer that was the last straw.
    This was a very recent update that added engima's site to the immunize list

I would still like some REAL explanations to how the spyhunter program was ever actually malware and why enigma's websites are dangerous to my computer?.

I don't understand why more people aren't a little ticked at this, spybot is purposely falsely classifying a competitor as malware and then preventing people going to a competitors site. And then people are saying it's ok because that competitor in the past was shady. Aren't these tactics spybot is using a little shady to?

All I hear is over aggressive marketing and that people do not like the CEO's attitude. This still does not make the program malware.
    Last edited by swanlee; 2008-09-14 at 06:24.

Quote Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
    Why is Spybot preventing spyhunter from working and preventing me from going to the Enigma software website? [...]
    Fling all the crap you want at enigma for past issues but Spybot is doing something just as bad. [...]
    It does not look very good for spybot when they are injecting their OPINION about a competitor on my PC.
    Equally, I could say you are behaving the same way you acuse us of. You're still implying "past issues" and repeating your question, totally ignoring the answer about up to date issues.

If you would like the answer so much, why don't you read it?

That's a feature of Spybot-S&D: it tells you why it flags products!

And if you don't like THAT reason, feel free to discuss it.

But starting multiple discussions and not following it sounds more like you either just like to hear your voice or work for Enigma.

All I hear is over aggressive marketing and that people do not like the CEO's attitude. This still does not make the program malware.
    1. You HAVE heard more. From me, the "official" side even.
    2. So you are saying that software that intentionally misleads the user is just over aggressive marketing and not malicious? I wonder what ground you would then have to attack our detection... hey, if you don't care to read the reason, at least you could see it with the same eyes
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Equally, I could say you are behaving the same way you acuse us of. You're still implying "past issues" and repeating your question, totally ignoring the answer about up to date issues.

If you would like the answer so much, why don't you read it?

That's a feature of Spybot-S&D: it tells you why it flags products!

And if you don't like THAT reason, feel free to discuss it.

But starting multiple discussions and not following it sounds more like you either just like to hear your voice or work for Enigma.

1. You HAVE heard more. From me, the "official" side even.
    2. So you are saying that software that intentionally misleads the user is just over aggressive marketing and not malicious? I wonder what ground you would then have to attack our detection... hey, if you don't care to read the reason, at least you could see it with the same eyes
    Spybot flagged Spyhunter as malware, is Spyhunter malware?

I've done my own research and the latest versions have been tested by a number of reviewers and none of them says that this program functions as malware. Spybot is incorrectly flagging this program as malware.

You guys are crossing the line, you are making personal judgment calls against your competition and not just classifying programs as malware. What is going to prevent your product from in the future classifying every anti malware product out there as malware?

Spyhunter does not act as malware on my pc never has and I have yet to find a review that actually says it is REAL MALWARE it does what it claims to do and is a direct competitor to spybot which makes spybots over zealous classifications of the product suspect at best.

I would consider spybot being over aggressive by blocking functions of it's competition and breaking the update ability of a product I bought and installed myself on my pc.

To me Spybot acted as malware when it added Enigma's websites to my local host file and broke Spyhunters ability to update. And of course you have to through out that you think I work for Enigma, i do not I use more than one program to clean malware from my pc and have been for several years and spybot is the ONLY one that doesn't play nice with other programs.

I've used spybot for 4 years and I am done with it, no more I will not allow a program to make judgment call like this on my pc and my pc is NOT going to be a battle ground for your product to wage war against it's competition.

You guys have stepped over the line, to me this would be like Internet Explorer blocking the use of Firefox because MS deemed that Firefox was a security threat.

But thankfully in this case my answer is clear spybot is now uninstalled from my pc and will not be used again.

I wanted a program that detected and got rid of malware I did not need a program to make moral decisions of what website and products I should use on my pc.
    Last edited by swanlee; 2008-09-14 at 17:44.

if someone is interested http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopi...t=719&start=40 according to hphosts enigmas spyhunter is not a rogue and the sites doesnt fit the inclusion policy in hphosts. i tried to submit some sites again that has been removed from hphosts but it wasnt accepted but i will look closer on the pcthreat sites and find out more.

here is more about enigma http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/?mode=Articles&date=31-08-2008
    http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2008/08/...eferences.html
    http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2008/08/...oved-from.html
    Last edited by blues; 2008-09-14 at 18:00.

swanlee: again, you've perfectly shown that you like listening to your own voice and how able to block other peoples arguments you are!

Yes, it is malware! I'll tell you a third, and last time: simply RTFM! Read what Spybot tells you why!

Quoting Spybot:
    SpyHunter claims to be an antivirus solution. If it is installed on the computer it detects some spyware even if the computer is a totally clean machine. In order to fix these problems, the user needs to purchase a license.
    That is malicious behavior!

And blocking the domain helps unexperienced users to avoid this trap. And if you want to question our blocking of their domains, please argue how exactly that behavior is marketing only and not malicious!
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)