Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: anti virus programs-a discussion

Lightbulb

Long time i have been using a compination of Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 (KIS), Emsisoft A-Squared, Emsisoft Online Armor and the both Spybots (1.6.2 and 2.0) and made with all of them not bad experiances, as each of it have it advantages (and disadvantages which got rid from some of the other) but since the lastest Release of KIS, which caused some trouble, as performance, for me, i removed KIS and only have the rest left.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

The recommendation I made in 2009 of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) has since changed. In recent months MSE has been underperforming in a number of anti-virus tests such as AV-Comparatives (PC Mag article), and so I no longer recommend it. My recommendation is now Avast Anti-Virus (website) primarily because it has scored highly (and as important, consistently) in anti-virus tests in recent years, and has a small footprint on system performance which makes it suitable for older PCs. It is a solid choice for most people and the simplified interface (introduced in version 8) is relatively easy to use too. During installation I wouldn't bother installing any of the optional modules (e.g. browser extensions) as the anti-virus alone is adequate in my opinion.

Hope that helps bring us up to date!

Or you can recommend the new version of Spybot.
    Spybot +AV 2.1 has also Antivirus detection.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Or you can recommend the new version of Spybot.
    Spybot +AV 2.1 has also Antivirus detection.
    Of course, Sandra! It'd be interesting to see how Spybot's anti-virus performs. Is the virus signature engine and database in-house like Spybot's well established malware database?

Hello,

No, it's not in-house.
    If you are curious you can check the "credits" in the "about" section of the new Spybot 2.1 +AV.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default What I use

I've tried different antivirus programs over the years. I quit wasting my money on Norton.. it takes a lot of resources. The programs you buy and install pretty much come with minimal protections. If you don't know how to set the programs for maximum protection you're not going to have great protection. I went to work for a computer man and mostly removed spyware and viruses. We always liked Avast Free Home Edition for anti virus. Of course we tweaked the settings for more security but it's a very reliable program and has been around for years. The one glitch we ever saw was fixed in less than 24 hours. Other free programs.. not so good.
    Set correctly Avast is great and we always used Spybot.. he still uses the old version because he likes it better. I'm thinking about switching but I'm still running the older version, too.... mainly because I know how to get more protection and automatic updates.

Default I use Eset as well

Are there any itmes in Spybot I need to disable so as not to slash with Eset NOD32?

Hello tigersmustlive,

Quote Originally Posted by tigersmustlive View Post
    Are there any itmes in Spybot I need to disable so as not to slash with Eset NOD32?
    There shouldn't be any need, have you experienced issues?

We do have Spybot +AV: http://www.safer-networking.org/

Best regards
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Thank you Tashi.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello tigersmustlive,

There shouldn't be any need, have you experienced issues?

We do have Spybot +AV: http://www.safer-networking.org/

Best regards
    Yes. right after installing Spybot NOD32 wouldn't work. I disabled all of the settings in Spybot that had to do with the internet (I used to use Spybot mainly for immunization and to check for system problems) but that didn't do any good. The NOD32 icon was still in the system tray but the program would not respond. I won't get rid of NOD32 as I've found it to be much more effective then other anti-virus programs I've tested. It's disappointing as I'd been using Spybot since it's inception back in the 90's. But to dump NOD32 in favor of Spybot seems rather foolhardy. Spybot's AV I'm sure is good but it's relatively new and I've seen no reviews about it. I had to uninstall Spybot. All apologies