Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Virtumonde.prx, can't boot

Default Virtumonde.prx, can't boot

I started getting a lot of pop-up ads last week, ran Spybot S&D which said I have Virtumonde.prx. I ran "Fix problems," but it was unsuccessful. I ran McAfee Virus Scan (free AOL version), but it didn't identify any problems. I quit using my computer, but left it running, not connected to the Net except McAfee's regular updates. This morning McAfee left a window saying it had picked up and fixed a vundo trojan. I looked at the McAfee log, and it listed a bunch of files that it had quarantined. Hoping that updated McAfee definitions had fixed the problem, I ran Spybot S&D today, but it still identified Virtumonde.prx. I told S&D to "Fix Problems," and it gave me green checkmarks. I had read on the Spybot description of Virtumonde that I needed to disconnect my Internet connection and reboot after running a fix, so I did that, rebooting by cycling the power.

Now I get the blue screen with the message: "STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error) The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
    The system has been shut down."

I am using my laptop for this post, as I can't get past the blue screen on the infected desktop machine. Please help.

Due to work hours, it may take me awhile to respond to your instructions.

In Memoriam -Always in our heart pskelley's Avatar

Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
    "BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance)
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
    All advice given is taken at your own risk.
    Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

Once you get the computer running again, read and follow the directions posted above and pinned (sticky) to the top of this forum, then post a HJT log according to the directions for starters.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669 <<< to troubleshoot the error message you posted.

Thanks
    MS-MVP Consumer Security 2007-08-09
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

Thank you for responding. I will be away from my computer for the next 3 days, and will try to get around the Fatal System Error when I get back. FYI, I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP 2. I do have the OS DVD supplied by Dell, so I should be able to boot using the disk.

Ahhh...being from Clearwater/St.Petersburg, I will guess you are in front of the TV watching the series. I suggest you ask questions about Dell to the Dell techs: If the computer is still under warranty, keep in mind about anything you do could invalidate the warranty.

http://support.dell.com/

Thanks...Phil
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

I just read the MS Troubleshooting page, and they advise against a software reinstallation except as a last resort, as I will lose my System Restore recovery points. From what I have read about Virtumonde, I probably have a winlogon.exe problem. I'll get back at it Monday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by pskelley View Post
    Ahhh...being from Clearwater/St.Petersburg, I will guess you are in front of the TV watching the series.
    Nope, going to a reunion, so I'll be away from the TV too until Sunday evening. Ugly loss last night.

Back from reunion. Good times.

Phillies up 3 games to 1.

Computer booted without the error message.

I have a good feeling about this.

Here is the HJT log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 11:42:20 AM, on 10/29/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1142944241\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\McAfeeDataBackup.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msc\mcuimgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 5.0\aoltb.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1142944241\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [P17Helper] Rundll32 P17.dll,P17Helper
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Backup] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\McAfeeDataBackup.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MBkLogOnHook] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\LogOnHook.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [1cb92e0b] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\tkggxrnb.dll",b
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0b\AOL.EXE" -b
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar Search - c:\program files\aol\aol toolbar 5.0\resources\en-US\local\search.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {3369AF0D-62E9-4bda-8103-B4C75499B578} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 5.0\aoltb.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {26FCCDF9-A7E1-452A-A73D-7BF7B4D0BA6C} (AOL Pictures Uploader Class) - http://o.aolcdn.com/pictures/ap/Reso...s.10.6.0.4.cab
    O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/...toUploader.cab
    O16 - DPF: {B69B0694-EB7C-4468-B572-B781062A1EF2} (KooPlayer Control) - http://static.mediazone.com/player/1...7/MZPlayer.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/is...82/mcfscan.cab
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: mgfbkz.dll ixnjtx.dll wbysep.dll
    O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
    O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: MBackMonitor - McAfee - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
    O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
    O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

--
    End of file - 9242 bytes

Make sure you read and follow the directions, anything else will slow the process and waste both of our time. I suggest you keep this computer offline except when troubleshooting, the junk may download more. If you have any tool I use, delete it and download it new from the link I provide. Read and follow the directions carefully, the tools will not work unless you do.
    The junk can be tough to remove, so do not expect fast or easy.

I see evidence that the Vundo infection still exists on the computer, let's proceed like this.

1) We need first to disable TeaTimer that it doesn't interfere with fixes. You can re-enable it when you're clean again:
    * Run Spybot-S&D in Advanced Mode.
    * If it is not already set to do this Go to the Mode menu select "Advanced Mode"
    * On the left hand side, Click on Tools
    * Then click on the Resident Icon in the List
    * Uncheck "Resident TeaTimer" and OK any prompts.
    * Restart your computer.
    (leave TT disabled until we finish)

2) Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running the tool:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed

Please continue as follows:

*Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix, link
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html
    Remember to re-enable them afterwards.
    *Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you. Post that report and a new HJT log

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix on your own. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use

Thanks...Phil
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

By the way, my computer booted without the blue screen and Fatal System Error message. Not sure why, as I did not do any of the troubleshooting that MS suggested. I suspect, however, that the winlogon.exe problem is still lurking somewhere.

I will be using my laptop to communicate, and will move files back and forth with a flash drive. The Internet is almost unusable on the infected machine, so I unplugged the cable.

As indicated in the above post, I agree with you about the infection. Let's hope that flash drive is not infected!

Thanks for the feedback...
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006