Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TagsRevisited

Default TagsRevisited

After the announcement here, I've created a page for it on the main pages as well here, and decided to open this topic for discussions
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Nice.

Default Changing Case of File Extensions

I have just installed and started to use TagsRevisited. Whenever I open a folder, a series of message windows begin to open asking me if I want to change the file extensions to lower case for a litany of files (AUTOEXEC.BAT, IO.SYS, etc.; essentially any file in my root directory that has an uppercase file extension.)

What's going on here?

Thanks.

Well, it shows that for every folder that's selected in the left.

Once you select to show files of a different folder, it'll ask about the extensions there.

I use this feature since I had some old mp3 files that when moving them from Win98 to NT or so (really a long time back) got "8.3" filenames with uppercase extensions, but I want all music files ending in .mp3, and not in .MP3.

Anyway, if you don't need this, switch the right pane (normally showing "Tags") to the "Auto" tab, and disable "extensions lowercase", and it'll never ask again

Got it; thanks. Although, it seems to be working its way up the tree from the folder selected all the way back to the root folder in the left window. For example, my music files are all on a d: drive. So, the tree displays:
    My Computer
    +C:
    -D:
    +folder
    +folder
    -My Music
    +Artist, etc.
    When I select an Artist, it's asking about uppercase extensions in C: root.

Anyway, now I understand it. Is there a FAQ or any documentation for TagsRevisited anywhere? If so, could you point me to it? If not, I'll just continue having fun exploring by trial and error

Oh, it shouldn't do it backwards more than one single folder (since it also tried to look for cover art pictures and playlists files in the parent folder).

A documentation? Well... I guess I need to find some time to write a few things down, there are a few things (like automated addition of cover art) that's a probably not really understandable until documented (e.g. it looks for "Artist\Album (cover).jpg", for example, but that's nowhere documented). Since TagsRevisited is kind of a playground for me, I might use it to test the newer style (after .hlp and .chm) of the Windows help system.

About cover art ... Coming from the early adopter streamer world, most of us have saved the cover as folder.jpg in the directory itself. Its easier when not embebded.
    What I would like is some info on the scripting, I would like to be able to wipe all album art that is currently embebded and re-import it cleanly from the local folder.jpg. Is this possible ?
    The reason for that is that on some of my mp3, cover art is 'corrupted' or non standard, and going throught 12000 songs takes quite a long time I would like to automate the task.
    Thanks
    Patrick S.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is ...

Hi Patrick,

Sorry for the long delay... I always thought I could finally document the code and generate some general overview that could be used in scripts, but time...

Well, here is a sample script listing all cover art:

Code:
    // A small script to list cover art:
    program ImageList;
    var iFile, iPicture: integer;
        sTitle: string;
    begin
       for iFile := 0 to Pred(Files.Count) do begin
          sTitle := Files[iFile].TagID3v2.Title + #13#10;
          if Files[iFile].TagID3v2.Pictures.Count>0 then begin
             for iPicture := 0 to Pred(Files[iFile].TagID3v2.Pictures.Count) do begin
                sTitle := sTitle + Files[iFile].TagID3v2.Pictures[iPicture].Description
                       + ' (' + Files[iFile].TagID3v2.Pictures[iPicture].MimeType + ')' + #13#10;  
             end;
          end else begin
             sTitle := sTitle + 'No attached cover art found.';
          end;
          ShowMessage(sTitle);
       end;
    end.
    Instead of just listing the description and mimetype fields, you could do it this way as well to delete them all:

Code:
    // A small script to delete cover art:
    program DeleteAllImages;
    var iFile: integer;
    begin
       for iFile := 0 to Pred(Files.Count) 
        do Files[iFile].TagID3v2.Pictures.Clear;
    end.

tagsrevisited-scripting-help.zip

Contains a help file with a full description of everything that's available in scripting. Don't get scared by the huge number of classes listed in there, start with the Files object from the example, of type TTaggedFileList, everything should be simple to find from there.

Hi,
    I have just installed TagsRevisited. I exactly have the same problem that AGiLiT reports. The proposed solution of disable "extensions lowercase" works only until the next time program runs because the change doesn't persist. So you need to disable "extensions lowercase" every time you run the program.

I know that it's a non-supported program, and that it's a kind a playground as PepiMK describe it. But I think it could be very useful to have that annoying problems solved.

Thanks