Thread: Smitfraud-c Toolbar888

Default Smitfraud-c Toolbar888

Hi, Can someone please tell me if the Spybot result showing Smitfraud-C Toolbar888 as a Reg entry HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4190550987-2138113849-4060233106-1006\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{B64F4A7C-97C9-11DA-8BDE-F66BAD1E3F3A}, is in fact a false positive or not? It has a 'value not set' in Reg Editor, and have never had any pop-ups, page redirections, or slow downs.

Thanks

Retired

I can confirm that it is a false positive that will be fixed with the next update scheduled for friday

regards,
    Markus

Similarly, I got HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\ showing as Smitfraud-c.toolbar888, but I haven't noticed any obvious problems. Is this a false positive as well? Did I do any damage by allowing Spybot to fix this? If so, how can I undo it?

Thanks.

Question I have a false positive with CatSpy

I get what I believe to be a false positive after installing a program called CatSpy (www.catspy.de) which is a web camera monitoring tool.

I've never had any popups, etc. Here's the report from spybot:

Smitfraud-C.Toolbar888: Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\CatSpyWinlogonNP

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---

Please download the latest updates. This should solve the problem. If you do not know how to use the update function yet, here's a short tutorial including a screenshot: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Anon1234:

Unless you are running Windows 95 you should also upgrade to Spybot-S&D 1.4.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Worked for me -- thanks!

Okay, I upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4, also updated the definitions from 12/29/06 to 1/5/07. Then did a Recover to undo the fix that S&D 1.3 did on 1/3/07. This restored the value "C:\Windows\System32\Rename.exe" to the registry keys HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\ and HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\. Finally, did a scan using 1.4 and the latest updates, which showed no problem.

Thanks to all for the helpful information!