Thread: Installation Error Message

Default Installation Error Message

I deleted spybot a few days ago and have just tried to download and install it again.
    The download was fine (saved to desktop). When I try to install I get the following message
    Error creating registry key:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.disabled
    RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5
    Access is denied

I run norton anti virus and webroot spysweeper

can you help me solve my problem

Thanks

Default Problem Solved

I managed to solve my own problem.
    When my computer was originally attacked by spyware I opened a new account with admin rights and gave the original account user rights only. I originally downloaded all the spyware removal utilities on to the new account.
    Any way to cut a long story short I managed to salvage my original account and give it admin rights again.
    I have put spybot sd in to a shared file and both accounts now seem to be able to use it.

So n need for help now

thanks

Question XP Home Dual User Installation Problem

In my situation I have a Windows XP Home installation with two user accounts with administrator rights. S&D is installed for one user but I am unable to install for the second user. I recieve the registry errors you described. I have attached the first three error messages I received before I aborted the installation.

Any suggestions on how a Windows XP dual user S&D installation should be performed?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

TrekBrew:

Don't try to install it a second time, just try to use it:
    • Start > All Programs > Spybot - Search & Destroy > Spybot - Search & Destroy

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Question S&D Not listed in Programs

Thanks for the response.

I thought would be the idea as well yet there is no Search and Destroy program group on the second user. Perhaps the installation didn't function correctly or perhaps I didn't respond correctly to a user prompt during the installation process.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Truthfully I don’t know what the current status of your Spybot - Search & Destroy is because of the failed second installation attempt.

After installing Spybot - Search & Destroy, normally all you should have to do for a second Computer administrator user account is add Spybot - Search & Destroy to the startup menu or a shortcut to the desktop or other cosmetic changes to make access easier for the user.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Lightbulb Uninstall and re-install

Thanks, I will uninstall and re-install and let you know.

Smile Uninstall/Install Worked OK

I was able to uninstall and sucessfully install S&D but only if I did not select "Check for updates" durin installation. When I selecte this option I still received the registry errors. I installed S&D and then checked for updates. At this time it appears S&D with Tea Timer is working OK for both users.

Thanks for the feedback. Over and out.