Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Version 1.5.2 fails to load

Default Version 1.5.2 fails to load

Unfortunately Version 1.5.2 fails to load. I received Version 1.5.2 as part of an auto-update when I checked for updates to my original Version 1.4 today. The update and install appeared to effect normally, but the new version 1.5.2 causes an error message on attempting to run:-

Application error
    X Exception EAccessViolation in module SPYBOTSD.EXE at 002E609B
    Acces violation at address 006E609B in module 'SPYBOTSD.EXE'. Read of address FFFFFFFF.

I'm running W98 with all critical updates and IE6.0.2800.1106.

I've tried uninstalling V 1.5.2 as well as V 1.4, and making a clean basic install of V 1.5.2, but it results in the same fault. I've now removed V 1.5.2 and re-installed V 1.4, updated it (all bar the new version update, obviously) and V 1.4 is now back apparently operating normally.

I've not tried "immunisation" and don't usually use "tea-timer" anyway, as it stands at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thumbs down Similar (dubious) problem here.

I had the same thing occur yesterday when the updates FORCED a user to get the new version.

Just not the same error message.

Isn't the other phrase for this: Drive By downloads?

I suspected it was Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0.0.125, but I paused it without installing the newer version.

Kinda Glad too!

I am NOT a (crash test dummy): aka Beta Tester type.

Is the latest version worth having, please?
    Or is it too early to ask that?

I HATE -->

groucho
    Last edited by groucho; 2008-02-07 at 16:30. Reason: I are an dubm ath

Hello,

There were some things that needed to be improved: the immunization sometimes needed to be applied twice before sticking, many users wanted the file shredder back, and it was impossible to remove entries from the user blacklist in the Internet Explorer plugin. But first of all, we apologize for the long starting time of Spybot-S&D 1.5.1 to all users. This item has been fixed now in this new version 1.5.2.

So i suggest to upgrade.
    You can also try it manually.
    You will find links to several download locations on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Well, first of all thanks to groucho for hijacking my thread :-( Rather rude that, I thought.

Thanks to Sandra for posting a reply, but unfortunately not to my original posting, so I'm no further forward. The point is, obviously, now that version 1.5.2 is an auto-update, by implication version 1.4 will become obsolete and unsupported. Not much good if version 1.5.2 won't load and run, of course.

Having tried it several times, each time with the same result and error message, it's pretty obvious to me that it's not going to load as this current version (1.5.2), at least for the time being.

Would Sandra care to comment?

Thanks.

Question

Oh well, no one seems to want to reply to this... Where's the "boo-hoo" Smilie? Oh well, that'll do...

Could it be a google toolbar conflict - I see someone else mentioned that in another thread?

Hello,

Did you already tried to uninstall your version and make a fresh download from Spybot's homepage?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I have the EXACT same problem as Jonssen

I also have Windows 98 (first edition) and got the exact same error message (identical).

One difference is that I previously had version 1.5 installed (and it worked, although slowly). When I updated, version 1.5.2 was installed. Version 1.5.2 will not work...when I try to start Spybot S&D, I get the same error.

Yes, I've tried a clean install...removed 1.5.2, removed all the files from the directory and even ran the small registry clean-up file. It didn't make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

In the mean time, is there a location where I can download version 1.5.1 to see if that works?

hi kidd_freeper,

here is a site that allows you to download previous versions: filehippo

Thanks Honda

Version 1.5.1.15 did not run after loading either. Same error.

I could not find version 1.5.0. I'm going back to version 1.4 for now

One thing...I noticed when I loaded 1.5.2 onto my machine with WindowsXP, that it needed a restart to complete the installation. Versions 1.5.2 and 1.5.1.15 did not ask for a restart after installation with the Windows98 machine. (Version 1.5.2 works fine with the WindowsXP computer)

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Did you already tried to uninstall your version and make a fresh download from Spybot's homepage?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hello Sandra,

Yes, indeed I did (as I said in my first posting...)

Kind regs, Bob.