Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McAfee VS 11.2 forced Spybot uninstall

Default McAfee VS 11.2 forced Spybot uninstall

I was creating a new user on a machine today and encountered an unusual problem The McAfee software on the machine was expired, so I uninstalled it and then used the MCPR2.exe utility to completely remove it. I then downloaded and installed the latest Spybot 1.5.2 and cleaned the machine (The previous user downloaded and browsed everything!). I then tried to install the latest McAfee (Viruscan build is 11.2.124) and it insisted on uninstalling Spybot. I only installed VS, FW, and SiteAdvisor. McAfee and Spybot have always played nicely. I wonder what has changed. Does anyone have any information?

Lightbulb what do u mean forced?

if they advise you to uninstall spybot, theres no reason unless you experience major probs. If i was you, i would use a free antiviruis, such as avast, and avg. But in no way should u need to uninstall spybot because another program says 2. Try them both installed, and if you have probs then get rid of one and use another type of program.

I've just got the same problem. The Mcafee wont continue to install until Spybot is uninstalled.

Anyone know a way round this?

Never had a problem with them both installed before.

Hello,

Spybot-S&D is compatible with McAfee.
    There's absolutely no reason to uninstall Spybot-S&D.
    If some parts would conflict, just those parts could be disabled.

That's the way to to disable the resident feature of Spybot - Search & Destroy: run Spybot-S&D, switch to the "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" --> hit "YES" --> select "Tools" in the navigation bar on the left --> "Resident" and there you can untick the checkboxes in front of the two tools.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Esteemed Member

Unfortunately, this isn't the position that McAfee is taking which is quite clear from the following blanket document found using their Technical Support FAQs and Search.

Removing incompatible third party applications
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...=10005&type=TS

Regardless of the reality, such methods are beginning to be used as weapons by competing security products. Increasing competition for the limited dollars available is causing many of the larger for profit operations to be less technically correct in their decisions to list other products.

Bitman

Lightbulb i wouldnt use a security product...

that forces an uninstallation of any other protection that i have. Try a free antiviruis, to get around this issue, such as avast or avg or avira personal. thats my suggestion. You don't have to take it.

Perhaps if enough people stop purchasing their products McAfee might just realize this type of anticompetative behavious is completely unacceptable.

Didn't the same thing happen with Norton products not so long ago? What is it with these people?

Lightbulb yes that is correct

yes the same thing did happen with norton, i used to have them until they crashed by pc. Bye bye norton, hello avast! hehe

Default New development

It seems that this issue only occurs if you let the install script access the web and get the latest install. If you install from the cd and then get the updates it works fine. Go figure ...