Thread: AVG detects hosts file "change" after updating Spybot

Default AVG detects hosts file "change" after updating Spybot

Could I have some advice please? I have looked back through 20 pages of this section and seen many references to the hosts file, but not anything like my problem. I have a laptop and a desktop. Both running XP2 home, Zonealarm Firewall, AVG Free 7.5.516, Spybot, & Adaware 2007. AVG usually flags up changes after MS Updates, but since I upgraded Spybot to 1.5.2.20 it also reports a "change" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" after updating and running Spybot. I can select remember this setting and ignore on next scan and it will then run O.K. This occurs on both machines. I'm no expert but I understand that this folder contains the definitions file, so it would obviously be different after an update. The thing is this behavior didn't happen with version 1.4. Can you offer a fix, or should I try AVG's forums?
    Regards.

Hello,

By the immunization of Spybot - Search & Destroy the baddies are blocked.
    That means that the sites where the baddies come from are added to the restricted zones in order to block them. Therefore the host file is changed.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks, I guessed it was something like that, but I've always Immunised after doing a scan, so was curious as to why this is only being picked up by AVG now, and not with Spybot v1.4.

Regards.

Smile

As has been said, AVG is simply highlighting that the hosts file has changed, and Spybot will change the hosts file each time you do an immunise.

You can update the reference AVG uses for this each time you do an immunise so that AVG can determine in between immunisations whether something else has changed the hosts file. To do this, when you have finished the Spybot immunisation, go to AVG's test centre then press F3. AVG will do a system area scan and bring up a dialogue indicating the host file has changed and giving the option to accept the change.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

shortwave:

Quote Originally Posted by shortwave View Post
    Thanks, I guessed it was something like that, but I've always Immunised after doing a scan, so was curious as to why this is only being picked up by AVG now, and not with Spybot v1.4.

Regards.
    Immunization in Spybot 1.4 did not include adding Spybot's HOSTS file. To add the HOSTS file in Spybot 1.4 you had to go into Spybot – Search & Destroy > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Hosts file.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.