Thread: Socket error # 11004

Default Socket error # 11004

spybot does not detect proxy connection therefore, updating says, error retriving update info file. socket error # 11004

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Socket Error # 11004 usually is an indication that Spybot-S&D is being blocked from accessing the internet. Make sure that SpybotSD.exe is authorized in your firewall to access the internet.

If you are sitting behind a proxy server:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. About 2/3 of the way down the option tree there is a category "Web update". Check the last item in the list "Use proxy to connect to update server". A pop-up will come up were you can enter the information required.

If you are sitting behind a proxy server and need to know what the settings shoul be, there are hints in the following article on how to find them:
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-03-17 at 06:52.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default socket error 11004

I have seen a number of queries on this site relating to socket error 11004.
    This is caused by a malicious programme named icpldrvx or icpldrvx.exe
    This programme will hide itself typically in your programme files,I found it in my programme files in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.
    You cannot access it nor can you manually delete it,but you must get rid of it,it is a bad programme.
    The only security programme I know of which can disinfect you computer of this programme is Prevx1.It is available as a free download with a 30 day trial period.You should be able to find the Prevx1 site by tapping into Google.
    Best of luck to you all.
    Abbeyfield

Default Socket error #11004

It's amazing!! I just downloaded version 1.4. I deleted the old version and installed the new and received the socket error. Tried all the usual suspects, reinstalled, with and without proxy, etc. Based on one post I removed Spybot from programs in ZoneAlarm free and allowed it to detect the new one. This fixes the problem, this after spending most of the day on it.

Default A solution to socket errors...

Hi

I had the same socket error problem on a colleagues' laptop. She was running Norton/Symantec antivirus and firewall and this seemed to be the cause of the blockage.

A complete uninstall of Norton sorted everything out. Spybot, Ad-aware, AVG Free and Zonealarm were installed in it's place and they promptly picked up several problems that Norton failed to ever notice including a virus.

This isn't the first time that I've had to sort out colleagues PC's/laptops when they have Norton installed.