Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB Automatically "User Aborts"

Default SB Automatically "User Aborts"

3rd time I'm scanning and about a minute into each scan, the scan aborts with the message "User Abort! Scan was not completed successfully." and the status bar says "Scan aborted by user"

The problem is I am not aborting the scan.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mark.

Hello Everyone,

I've been using Spybot for quite a while now and just recently I am unable to complete the scan like the person who created this thread.

I have all updates and even re-installed. I ran the scan about 10 times, but everytime it says "Scan aborted by user".

Someone please help us both, it is very frustrating.

Thanks,
    Jordan

Hello,

Did you use a beta version of Spybot - Search & Destroy before?
    We recommend a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Please uninstall your version of Spybot - Search & Destroy considering the following link:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html
    It is important to use the "very small fix".

Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4.
    You will find links to several download locations on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

You will also have to update your new version using the integrated udpater. This should solve the problem.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Will give it a shot...

- thanks Sandra

Default Solution to User Abort Problems

Hello everyone, I experienced the same problem when running spybot and found this page and forum whilst searching for a solution on google. I downloaded the newst version of spybot (even though I was fairly sure I already had the newest version to begin with), but the problem persisted. I then went back to my original assumption, that a spyware or adware program was tricking spybot into the user abort. Spybot is an excellent program for its intended use, but I have unfortuantely ran into occasions in the past where its been tricked with similar results of a stopped scan before the spyware can be removed. I tried running adaware, which found approximately nothing, then went off in search of another spyware removal program to find the source of the problem. I ended up downloading one called Webroot Spy Sweeper (which is crap and makes you pay to update definition files, but the initial definition files should do the trick this time). It found a Windows Monitor program called "Win-Spy", and well.....here's the definition from spy sweeper: "Win-spy Monitor is an invisible utility that may log all keystrokes by all users and may take screenshots that are saved to a hidden folder." Icky, right? That's what I thought too...this nasty piece of work was apparently the cause of the problem in Spybot, tricking it into user aborting. Once I deleted this spyware, I ran Spybot again and it worked just fine. I'm assuming this was the cause.I hope this helps anyone else out there who has ran into a similar problem. Although it may not be the exact same program causing the user abort in everyone else's computers, I'm fairly certain its a similar song and dance routine.

Default Problems persisted. Need help.

Hi.

I had got that same error message the other day, so I followed the instructions above with the registry fix and everything.

Now I'm getting an error message when trying to install spybot again, and it goes as follows:

Error creating registry key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.disabled

RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5
    No access

Help appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S.
    I've tried using jv16 PowerTools to clean up the registry, but that didn't help.
    Last edited by Adolf; 2007-01-02 at 01:39. Reason: additional info

Hello,

Do you have admikn rights?
    Do you have any other security tools installed that can interfere?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default similar problem

I've used Spybot successfully for a number of years now, and just today I got the same error message that others have reported.There have been no changes in my computer or the program that could have caused this change. I have full admin rights. I am using Search & Destroy 1.4.

Here's what happens: My Spybot program stops after running awhile & gives a message that the user aborted the scan. I didn't abort the scan. I wasn't touching the computer keyboard. I retried several times with the same result. I left the program open the last time and it repeated the 'user aborted' message twice and then said 'Congratulations, No Immediate Threats Were Found', despite there being six red items listed as threats below the message (threats like Advertising.com, etc).

I am running a full scan with Norton now, but I haven't received any messages about there being viruses on my computer. I looked up 'Win-Spy' after reading the previous post, and it looks like Norton would find it if it were there.

Any suggestions to fix this Spybot glitch would be most welcome. Thanks!
    Last edited by Question; 2007-01-03 at 20:24. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Question View Post
    I've used Spybot successfully for a number of years now, and just today I got the same error message that others have reported.
    Yes, I also got the problem for the first time today (24 Feb 2007). I uninstalled Spybot, and then re-installed it. It's been working fine since then.

Possible clue:
    Just before the User Abort! message, an update download had failed with a checksum error, so I downloaded the update again - and the update then appeared to be successful. It was then that the spurious User Abort message kept appearing.

Regards to all,
    Steve Rawlings

Default User Abort

I had to run it while in safe mode.that seemed to work for me.